Snow in late March

Walt Davies

Well-known Member
Ok now I believed our expert Al Gore when he said that we were warming up and we had to do something about it BUT how come its still snowing here in the Valley when we should be getting nice warm Spring days to go on picnics and such we are breaking out the sleds and skies.
Walt BUMMER GLOBAL WARMING?????

PS I just looked out the window and its coming down pretty good out there, snow that is.
 
Walt:
Over on Liberty Rd to north of you we woke up to a good inch of new snow on the ground. Temp is 31 deg so don't expect it to stay long.

Have a gooder.

Polkwing
 
Not sure where you are located , but here in Central NY , we had 6-7" of snow yesterday and today when I got up it was 6 degrees.Up to 28 now. I think it has been below freezing avery night but 1 or 2 here this March.
 
Had to drive to medford,Or yesterday afternoon. One of the worst Blizzards this month. Past buy a fatal car wreck, Winter just won't let go.
 
It ALWAYS snows durring the Basketball tournaments. I would be more suprised if it had NOT snowed yesterday. And I live near Seattle! Global Warming has nothing to do with snow in late March. Just the old "Came in like a Lamb, goes out like a Lion"!
 
I dunno, usually the turning point is St Patricks day + or -. We have had no warm weather this month, a couple of nice days, been somewhat dry too, not excessive rain, nor any heavy snow as is always possible. It's good weather to grab wood from the hedgerows and woodlots, no bugs, not too hot & sweaty etc. The ground has been frozen unless the sun hits it, then it gets slippery. I like the warm weathert myself, spring is always my favorite time of year, I do like the extra light in early march, etc. great time of year both spring and fall before you get to heat or cold extremes to do any labor intensive work that can be done. I've still got a fire lit in the woodstove, would have figured to have that shut down already, it was below 20 deg F this morning, and has been most mornings, snow on the ground. It seems like perfect weather for maple sugaring though, today is no exception.
 
I had a load to haul to Tillamook at the coast yesterday. It was chains required for the roads to the coast. unheard of this time of the year.
It was the first time I have seen 3" of snow in Tillamook, ever.
Tim in OR
 
Hey Kid if you live that close why not drop by someday. since I can't get out right now its a very good time this weekend.
Walt
503 623-0460
 
Guess being called "kid" when 80+ yrs old should be taken as a compliment??!!LOL.

This weekend is not good but will give you a ring Monday and set a time. Nobody else in this area seems to frequent the YT forums. Several others in Ore but all at a distance.

Hope you don't get cabin fever from inactivity. I am scheduled for a knee replacement mid-April so will better understand what confinement does to one's mental adjustment to reality.

Good to hear from you.

Polkwing
 
Walt and Polkwing I'm SE of Portland towards Sandy and it is still snowing here off and on. Thought about heading to Dallas to see some friends of mine but looks as if I'm headed to South Dakota. Anybody need something hauled?
 
Well at our age most everyone is a kid so i just took a chance. I'm pushing 70 so hard that it hurts.
Walt

7/25/38
 
Al Gore is a known liar- that's why he lost election. If Al Gore says warm weather coming- the knowledgable people have the rubber boots and warm cap handy.. Record snow in my area (Madison, Wi) this year, might have snow as late as May 10 from history. A couple Crocus sprouts peeking through in front garden just in front of 2 foot snowbank- that's sign of spring I guess. RN
 
Monitoring stations around the world showed we cooled down a degree last yr. But making the front page wouldnt further their doom and gloom. So you turning off the lites tonite.
 
i would love to see al gore try and explain global warming to the people in florida. they had 30 degree temps this winter. which obviously ain't normal! plus if we have such global warming, why is it still in the low to upper 30's all the time here when norm. is is about 40-50?
DF in WI
 
Every one done thier part and corrected global warming and it must be going the other way. This time last year alot of people round here were half done planting corn. I have not seen the first NH3 wagon on the road yet.

Dave
 
Another 1" 3-29 upper reaches Columbia River-20 miles from border crossing!! W (still 6" on ground)in shade! W
 
I wanted to take my old snowmobile, for a little ride around my farm today, but couldn't. The starter rope broke while trying to start it. It has been in the family for 38 years. In 38 years, this year is the only year, that I could have smowmobiled an my Birthday, which is today.
Bruce.
 
I got up yesterday morning to new 8" drifts in my previously almost snow free yard. I think we got 4 or 5" of new snow and it has snowed off and on since that time.

The Spokane newspaper says that this snow season has had the 5th most snow of any season since they started keeping records around here. The snowpack in the mountains is tremendous at about 125% of the average, which is great for our hydroelectric dams. The ski areas are still open and might well stay open several more weeks. From what they say, the conditions are as good as they ever get in mid-winter.

But I am getting tired of the white stuff and hope the predictions of warmer weather after this week will be accurate. I would like to plow a new garden space, but I sure wouldn't dare drive there now. It is just too soft, and I would probably get stuck in the mud.

At least our water table should have been helped out. The way the big snow accumulation melted was very slow, so much of the moisture soaked in, rather than just going down the creeks.

Yup, I am ready for Spring, or at least Spring-like weather rather than this tail end of Winter hanging on, like it has. Good luck!
 
Polkwing, I live in Dallas. We've had snow here the last few days. I went to Albany yesterday and on the way back to Salem on I-5 we ran into a snow and hail storm. It was 44 in Albany and the sun was out. When in the storm it was 36 degees and we came to a complete stop. 1/2 an hour later we came onto a Suburban pulling a trailer with a 3/4 ton Ford pickup on it, well it was on it. The trailer came unhitched the pickup ran off the front of the trailer and it's front wheels were on the ground. The Suburban was headed back toward Albany, all happened in the 2 fast lanes. No one hit it but I bet it was a fun ride. Do you live north or south of the Falls City highway....James
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top