Some pics from my days travels

Adirondack case guy

I had to travel across the Mohawk river to the north side, to pick up the packings for a blade cylinder on my old 1957 Case dozer, from the only hyd shop in the area. I then drove up to Runings to get some more "stuff" for my tractors. About an 85 mile round trip. Ain't nothing close around here!
The first two pics are from the North side of the valley NYS Rt 10. DOT was pushing back the snow banks with a 621 Case loader.
The rest of the pics are from the neighborhood, around here. It was a bright sunny day,with temps topping out at 17F and light winds.
The uncles have loaded three 27+ ton loads of corn out this week to a local feed mill, and also sold several gravity wagons of oats and corn to local farmers. They also have a MixMill and sold a lot of baged ground corn, oats, and soybeans to a variety of customers. The corn weighs light this year @ about 53#/B. @ 12%+ moisture.
One of the uncles made a path up the farm road to the sugar bush yesterday, but it need a lot of opening up.
Hopeing the winter weather will start to break next week so we can start tapping the Maple trees and start making syrup later in the month of March. Looks like with all the snow it will be a late season, but only time will tell the results.
Loren, the Acg.
a185534.jpg

a185535.jpg

a185536.jpg

a185537.jpg

a185538.jpg

a185539.jpg

a185540.jpg

a185541.jpg

a185542.jpg

a185543.jpg

a185544.jpg

a185545.jpg

a185546.jpg

a185552.jpg

a185553.jpg

Well it looks like you got some snow for sure. I know you were worried about that earlier. Keep me informed of the season and I'll try to getbup tyere for it.

Jon, looking forward to your visit. Did you and Mike B formulate any kind of a plan to meet here. Hard to set a date, I know when depending on mother nature to be part of the plan.
Loren

Loren, I enjoyed the tour. A bit much on the snowy side, but nice country.
I get a little angry at times, because when I was in school, the only thing we ever heard about New York concerned the heavily populated areas. We learned nothing about New York State, except maybe that they did have some notable mountains. I have
been surprised to learn that areas such as where you live have so far to travel at times. I hope that they have revised the school books since I was there back in BC. (Before Computers).

Great pictures, while looking I'm thinking he has got to have one of those small Case dozers for all that snow. My little dozer sure is fun in the snow.

(quoted from post at 00:02:20 03/07/15) Loren, I enjoyed the tour. A bit much on the snowy side, but nice country.
I get a little angry at times, because when I was in school, the only thing we ever heard about New York concerned the heavily populated areas. We learned nothing about New York State, except maybe that they did have some notable mountains. I have
been surprised to learn that areas such as where you live have so far to travel at times. I hope that they have revised the school books since I was there back in BC. (Before Computers).

You think it angers you? Try being someone whose had to live with that fallacy!

Looks about like it does here. We started working in the sugarplace last week. My nephew came down, and we got snowshoe trails broken out along all the pipelines, dug out the sugarhouse, and started replacing some of the oldest tubing. The stuff has about a five to ten year service life, and I am currently on year 15 with some of it. Expensive, but the only way I can continue to make syrup.

Nobody around here is "dumb enough" to wade through the snow and carry buckets, or they want high wages and short hours, or their back hurts, or they are already working 70 hours a week for themselves. Once everything is tapped and running, the only labor beyond what I do boiling, is a couple hours each day for one person to walk through the woods checking for leaks, and another hour or so hauling wood into the sugarhouse. You are very lucky to have family and regular help to do it the old way.

My nephew had to go back home this weekend to deal with a hole in his roof from a pine branch that fell on it. I am trying to get my water running at home, not sure if the pump failed or there is a leak. I may just go back to the dark ages until warmer weather.

It is about time we had uniform international grading system. It was sort of stupid to have different grading system in NY, a different one in New England states, and another one in Canada. It simplifies what is in the can or bottle for all producers and the retail customers. There are still going to be issues with weight/density per unit though. The tast will also differ some from one producer to another. We boil down our sap a bit more than some, so our syrup is not as thin as some producers make it, so there will always be some minor varients.
Loren

NY is huge state, but you'd never know it listening to the academic types. Wish to God we could get rid of that stinkin' city.

Donald, I believe getting rid of that stinking city, would benefit not only New York State, but the entire country! Of course there are a few other cities to add to the pot as well.
A few years ago, the owner of the dealership where I worked hired a new sales manager. While becoming initially acquainted, I found he was from "Upper New York State" I said, "Well, you don't talk as if you are from New York." He laughed, and said, "Yeah, well, once you get away from New York City, you will find most of the people are almost normal!" I enjoyed a lot of conversations with him.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back