SOS slow to engage park and 1,2,3

GSRFord

I have a friend who has a 1963 ford 4000 with the selectospeed transmission. He has told me that it sometimes takes 30 seconds to engage park. It also is very slow to move in 1,2,3, but will pull well in the other gears. He changed fluid and cleaned the screen. The screen was clean and the fluid looked pretty good according to him. He found some metal parts in the bottom of the trans by the drain plug. My best description of the parts are possibly the strap material that is riveted together to hold the balls into a ball bearing. He also found some ball bearings in the bottom of the transmission. I looked at the parts of the transmission on Messicks, but didn't see anything that I thought could be it. It must have come from inside the transmission somewhere.For the most part it works normally other than the slow engagement in 1,2,3, but he said not always, and the slow park engagement. Any ideas on what is happening and what it might take to fix it?

Slow park engagement is normal, slow 1-2-3 engagement is definitely not normal.

Ball bearings are located on either end of the input shaft, #30 and 31 here: https://www.mycnhstore.com/us/en/ne...56875BD6/35F6724F-E6BE-E111-9FCE-005056875BD6

Sounds like one of those ball bearings has come apart. I would suggest that your friend not operate it anymore as it will eventually cause major damage if it hasn't already done so.

Input shaft can be removed from the front, but only if you stand the front end of the tractor up in the air. With the damage that's already likely been done, the most likely option is a complete teardown and overhaul. The bearings will be the easiest parts to find.

Upon a closer look at Messicks site, I see several ball bearings, so that makes sense now, but is the only option tearing it apart?

Upon a closer look at Messicks site, I see several ball bearings, so that makes sense now, but is the only option tearing it apart?
Unlike the human body, those bearings aren't going to heal themselves, so yes, it needs to come apart. As I said yesterday, the input shaft can come out through the front of the trans after you stand the tractor up in the air, however if the failed bearing has caused collateral damage behind it, then you're looking at a complete transmission teardown. And, as I said yesterday, finding parts might very well be the most difficult part of the experience.

Anyone want to venture a guess on the cost to repair just for parts?
No way to really know until someone tears into it. May get lucky and just need a bearing or two or it could have a bunch of collateral damage that makes it unfixable for monetary reasons. Just a crap shoot right now.

That's what I had mentioned to him. His next question was how much time does it take to swap to a 5 speed?. I know it takes more than just the transmission, but how long would it be to just take it apart and put it together? I have done lots of cars and worked on a lot of tractors, but it has been a long time since I swapped a transmission in a tractor. Anyone done one recently?

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back