I just gave this one to my son a couple
days ago. We used to use it on the
winches to winch up our silo unloaders.
It threw me on the floor once drilling
a hole and I'm too old for that to
happen again so I gave it to him.
3/4-in chuck, I think around 350 RPM.
cvphoto159253.jpg

Oh yes. I still have a similar old one like this. You have to take a deep breath and hold on tight because this old drill will take you for a ride.

Looks to be a Black and Decker? My dad has a similar one but I believe it is a Zenith. Gotta be careful because it'll wrap you up in a hurry!

I have one like that, it's a Thor, draws 8 amps and turns 350, and there is no stopping it! We tried drilling a well with it, I had a 6 inch auger on it. Went fine down about 12 feet, then we hit a rock and it almost twisted my arm off! The next day we called a real well driller, he went 65 feet and hit a gusher!

The neighbor wanted to put two four by fours in the ground for a volleyball net. Rather than use the hand post hole digger, I took a piece of 6-in grain auger and welded a shaft in one end to chuck up. Between the two of us, we held it up from screwing in the ground and drilled two holes about 4 ft deep pretty quickly.

I think it looks like a B&D. Back when B&D tools were the gold standard. Most of the tools didn't have a (don't tell JohnT) grounded metal frame.

My good neighbor was preparing to drill a big hole in the corner of a thick piece of steel. The trigger was worn out on the big drill, so Wib had hot wired across it. He got everything in position and hollered for my son to plug him in. Everything was going good and Brian got bored and wandered away. The bit caught as usual and jerked the steel out from under Wib's foot. Wib was holding the out-of-control drill and the helicopterish piece of steel at arms length and hollering ''Unplug me Brian! Unplug me Brian!''.

One of the neighborhood stories that we still laugh about.

Whenever I re-cord one of those old metal bodied tools I always add a ground to the body. Don't know that it's necessary but makes me feel a little better anyway!

I grew up with one just like that and It still runs but needs a tune up. I still have a pain from the Chewing out I got when my Dad way up on a ladder 50 years ago and it got away and smacked him in the
face and cut a hole thru his lip?? I guess it would better if we both got smacked in the face??? After that we got a B&D 1/2 drill that was weaker and more controllable.Cleddy

I have a big slow 1/2" drill motor that I'm scared to use. But that thing just looks like an accident waiting to happen.

I too add a ground wire.
When B&D was king, there were only 2 hole outlets in most homes. I remember getting buzzed a few times.

I had a similar but replaced it with a Milwaukee Hole Hawg. Same amount of power but lots more leverage to hold that thing.

I have one of those big, slow, old half inch electric drills that once belonged to my father-in-law.

The main use I found for it was back in the day when I occasionally rebuilt a 3.0 or 3.8 Buick or Olds V6 engine, with the engine still on the engine stand with no spark plugs in it, that drill would spin the engine over to check the oil pressure before I dropped the engine back in the car. You had to have a good grip on it.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back