Speaking of "Stick Shift"

Brian G. NY

I have a 4 speed tranny which came out of an early Falcon EconoLine van; '64 I think
This woukd have been a "4 on the tree".

Unfortunately, I do not have any of the shifting linkage but I can imagine it must have been at least a little complicated. LOL

When I was stationed in Germany in the 60s, my section chief had a car with a 4 on the tree. It wasn't too bad to catch on to. I can't for the life of me remember the make of that car.

I owned a Saab 96 and a 89 Monte Carlo, 2 stroke 3 cylinder. $ on the tree was common. If the Econoline had 3 on the tree, hook it up the the shifter for forward speeds, and
a pull knob for R on the floor. Jim

It was a dagenham four speed. I have a seen a Falcon and Mustang with them. Not meant for a lot of horse power. Dad had an old
Mercedes with four on the tree.
Ron

Yep, when I graduated highschool in 1980 I
started to work with a mechanical
contractor. I was introduced to a three on
the tree in a Ford Econoline van.
I never drove one before with the shifter on the steering column.

Years ago one of my sisters had a Fiat with a 4 speed column shift. She was the only one who could find reverse. My late neighbor had a Mercedes with a 4 speed column shift. He was surprised when I found reverse without being how to do it.

Rare transmission. Friend put one in his van. Had to
fabricate some of the linkage.

Vito

rove an old IH cabover years ago with 10 on the tree....5 speed with a push
button toggle on the gearshift for the rear axle. That one you shifted
carefully.

Ben

I've driven several 3-on-the-trees, including a friend's old Datsun sedan, and I think they made a 4-on-the-tree also, at least for the Japanese market. For those interested, here's a video on a young gent talking and shifting on the 1956 Mack 2-stick his grandfather restored and he now owns. Gotta love a Jake Brake on a Cummins Big Cam! He misses a few, and freely admits it, as he's used to his newer trucks and the old Mack doesn't do the majority of his hauling, but it still sounds good!
1956 Mack 2 stick shifting

(quoted from post at 21:52:28 11/09/23) It was a dagenham four speed. I have a seen a Falcon and Mustang with them. Not meant for a lot of horse power.
Ron

Lots of the early 6 cyl. Falcon, Mustang and Comet cars had the Dagenham 4 speed tranny.
You are right; not built to handle much HP. Matter of fact, they broke easily even with the little 6 cyl. if driven hard.
Some people called them the "glass" transmission.

I had a 60's Mercedes I fixed up for my daughter. It had 4 on the tree. every once and a while it would stick between gears. When that happened I
showed her what linkage to pull in the engine compartment too free it up. Stan

Rambler, 3 on the tree and then automatic overdrive 4th gear. Freewheeled in overdrive.

Paul

(quoted from post at 13:35:56 11/09/23) I owned a Saab 96 and a 89 Monte Carlo, 2 stroke 3 cylinder. $ on the tree was common. If the Econoline had 3 on the tree, hook it up the the shifter for forward speeds, and
a pull knob for R on the floor. Jim
oh, a Sabb-ab-ba-bab! You must have some Saab stories about the 2-stroke. Oil injected or oil in the gas?

I had a '63 Saab 2 stroke with a 1bbl carb. 32 anemic little ponies for whom 15 mph on a steep hill was all they could manage. Estimated 400,000 miles and an untold number of engines and rebuilds.

Well since i learned on a three on the tree and have driven twin stick 5 and 4 , 4x4's five and three , the only set up i never drove was the big Autocar where i worked way back and that one had a 6, 5 and a four three stick , my boss drove that one ,i drove the mack with the five and four , with that we hauled everything up to 100000 on the trailer . The Autocar hauled the really big stuff . a monster of a truck . The mack ran the old 22 inch rubber and now today that would be the 24.5 , the Auto car ran 24 inch rubber . To this day i still prefer a standard transmission over a slush box.

2 Ramblers 63 & 67 both 3 on the tree and NO overdrive. Still prefer automatic. Learned to drive on a 49 Chevy 3600 4 speed on floor, Then 1950 International 4 sped on floor. My first car was a 48 Buick 3 on the tree, Other larger trucks.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back