Wayne IA

Need to split a 2N/9N between the tranny and the engine. Gonna put a lever on a sherman step-up that was a cable shifter.Never have split one these old girls before. Am I correct in assuming that you remove the hood and throttle linkage and wiring rather than leaving the hood on and bring the steering gear and tranny top with the hood (8N method) Thanks for any responce.

Your on the right track. Hood first ( drain the gas ). Then I pull the battery and air cleaner. I put a motorcycle jack under the engine. Now, as far as the spark plug wire tube, I unhook the genny wire, coil wire, spark plug wires from dist cap, take the 2 head bolts (stud nuts) that hold the tube in place, and lay the whole thing off to the side. Undo the radius rods and tie rods at the tranny. Remove the throttle rod and then go after the bell housing bolts. Let me know how long it takes you... start to finish. Don't include R&R of the hood.

The way I do it is this, ya a little more work but makes it easier to handle the heavy stuff this way. I pull the hood then pull the front axle off. I use a chain hoist and jack under the tranny and that way I can swing the engine off/out and then when it is time to put things back on you have parts that line up easier. Last one I slip took me less then 3 hour to have all apart
Hobby farm

Wayne.......while you have yer tractor split, replace yer Sherman input shaft seal. $3 (cheap) 4-bolt, 15-min job. ......Dell

Thanks for the reminder. This is a "customer job" 60 miles from home,spent some time on the distributer,lots of things there that weren't Ford engeniered, but it worked,. so what can I say!! and redone a 12 volt conversion. Got rid of 50% of the wires including 4 wire nuts and an in line rocker switch. Of coure I had to back up, ran the wire the wrong way through the amp guage.Left it on blocks as both axles are off to redo the greasy brakes. Will report back when we tackle the sherman cable lever conversion and brakes and get it back on all fours.Might be up to a month before that happens though.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back