Sprayed the primer on today

super99

I sprayed the primer on the white parts on the Oliver 1550 this afternoon, grill and wheels. I used Van Sickle Self Etching Primer . I had them put the gallon can in the paint shaker when I bought it Sunday afternoon. It didnt do much good, there was a thick layer of goo in the bottom of the can. I stirred it to get it free and then used a stirrer on the drill for several minutes. It was thin that I sprayed it with the HVLP gun It acted like Slip Plate and when I finished, the gun was a bear to clean out. Big stringy globs inside. It was late enough that I said, to heck with it, Ill wait till tomorrow to paint the white. I looked it over with a light and had to touch up a few spots with a rattle can.
cvphoto88781.jpg

cvphoto88782.jpg

cvphoto88783.jpg

cvphoto88784.jpg

cvphoto88785.jpg

cvphoto88786.jpg

cvphoto88787.jpg

It needs one rear rim replaced and after its done, I have new tires all around, so I wasnt worried about paint on the tires.

Sometimes paint sits on a store shelf so long a normal shaking won't blend the paint. I've had to spend a lot of time stirring paint and then let it sit overnight and stir it again before using it. You really need to strain paint, especially if you have difficulty stirring it. What if the sprayer picked up one of those stringy globs while you were using it.

Be sure to read the directions on the primer and the paint. I messed up several times with Rustoleum primer because the directions actually say if you can't top-coat in about 30 minutes, wait a minimum of 48 hours before you top coat. If you don't wait, it makes it look like a parkerized finish, kinda like fish scales.

True.

I automatically strain everything that goes into a spray gun, even primer. It can save a lot of headaches.

Most auto body supply stores give them away free when you buy paint.

Did you "kill" the rust first. I once had a body shop paint some panels for me. There was a small area that was pitted. They sanded the rust off with the DA. Two years late the rust bubbled up.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back