spraying for ear worm in corn

next year i might be growing 20-30 acres of sweet corn and i dont have a way for spraying my corn after it gets about 3 feet tall. any ideas of what i could rig up to spray it with, with out getting to expensive have any of you used one of those misters or how about using a hand held gun while driving along and spraying into the corn i,m probable going to wind up just leaving a row wide to get my tractor down every 8th row

we have a 200 gal 3pt sprayer with 42' booms. did a little mod to the boom mounting to get it up about 6' or so. the boom will brush the tassels of some taller varieties, no problem there. we plant in blocks of 12 rows, just leave sprayer tracks unplanted.

i have a 28' boom i guess ill just have to leave a spot for my tactor to get down, i just didnt want to waste the space but it will also help in harvesting it to

buy yourself an air blast sprayer! if you cant spray it properly no need to plant, worms will wreak havoc.I assume this is for fresh market and if worms are not prevented you ve wasted time and lots of money.

getting the corn planted early is the main trick. i had heard that putting the corn in turpentine and drainging it good before planting would keep worms out. i tried it on two rows of late corn, one with and one without. the one with didn't have any worms in it. the other did.

Around here the growers typically plant 16 - 36 inch rows and skip 2 rows for spraying and picking. They typically spray with an air blast orchard sprayer. Here's a picture of sweet corn grown by others on my farm.

c3060.jpg

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back