Spring seed catalogs in the mail (a little tip)

Gambles

Well, it's that time of year when the seed catalogs fill the mail box, even though the weather will be below 0° for a high this Kansas weekend. Now I don't order any live plants or seeds through the mail (because most of the stuff they send out is dead small twigs and over-priced, but I digress....), but my mom still does. When I go to visit her, I quite often grab the latest seed catalog to view while I'm sitting at her kitchen table visiting. I must say, it all looks so very pretty.
ANYWAY, last season I noticed that a lot of the catalogs have different company names, but the mailing address is the same on each one of them. I used to have a picture of 4-5 different catalogs stacked on top of each other with the same address a few years ago, but I guess that photo has been deleted from my phone. Each of these catalogs also had a shipping charge, PLUS a $9.99 handling charge for each order. Perhaps that cost has gone up also, I don't know. So if you had an order from each of 5 catalogs, you'd have shipping charges, plus $50 in handling charges alone. Just for giggles one year, I filled out a bogus online catalog order and I was adding different numbers from each catalog. AT THAT TIME, you could place an item from each catalog and there was only one $9.99 total handling fee. Obviously, each catalog was owned by the same corporation and they were using the same software for each one.
Just thought I'd pass this tip along today. Again, I don't order from them. I also don't advice you to do so either, but I'm sure some of you will. And what happened in previous years past may not happen this year. (I'm in the house today because of the weather. Sorry to waste your time and band space) :cool:

I have to ask the question how many of you that order green beans get pole beans mixed inn with the green bean seed We have the last few years gotten some weird vine bean with our Bluelake's we order and the are a real big pod with not much in them . They are tough to use and usually don't get any bean in the pod till they are close to 8 inches long and about as big as your thumb in diameter That is what makes them tough and not very tasty to eat. When picking I usually just toss them out. Problem is they seem to over run the bush beans I do want. SO then I have to pull them out and that cuts into the yield and cost of the seed. I like to can about 30-60 Qts while eating plenty during the season. Have bought seed at the farm store and ordered in the catalogs both.

Well, it's that time of year when the seed catalogs fill the mail box, even though the weather will be below 0° for a high this Kansas weekend. Now I don't order any live plants or seeds through the mail (because most of the stuff they send out is dead small twigs and over-priced, but I digress....), but my mom still does. When I go to visit her, I quite often grab the latest seed catalog to view while I'm sitting at her kitchen table visiting. I must say, it all looks so very pretty.
ANYWAY, last season I noticed that a lot of the catalogs have different company names, but the mailing address is the same on each one of them. I used to have a picture of 4-5 different catalogs stacked on top of each other with the same address a few years ago, but I guess that photo has been deleted from my phone. Each of these catalogs also had a shipping charge, PLUS a $9.99 handling charge for each order. Perhaps that cost has gone up also, I don't know. So if you had an order from each of 5 catalogs, you'd have shipping charges, plus $50 in handling charges alone. Just for giggles one year, I filled out a bogus online catalog order and I was adding different numbers from each catalog. AT THAT TIME, you could place an item from each catalog and there was only one $9.99 total handling fee. Obviously, each catalog was owned by the same corporation and they were using the same software for each one.
Just thought I'd pass this tip along today. Again, I don't order from them. I also don't advice you to do so either, but I'm sure some of you will. And what happened in previous years past may not happen this year. (I'm in the house today because of the weather. Sorry to waste your time and band space) :cool:
Too expensive for me, order sweet corn from flea bay with free shipping otherwise its local stores.

I got my first seed catalog back in Nov. from Baker's creek

Just 'cause I'm nosy, trying to google Stoman corn, and can't find it. Got a link? Thanks
Sorry, misspelled name, it's Stowell's Evergreen. The white sweet corn is open pollinated and is 162 years old. I buy a $2.00 pack of Silver Queen and plant it in with my saved seed from the previous year. I pick the best ears each year, putting a ribbon around each, and covering them later with cups to keep rain out and mold from starting. Always have more seed than I can plant. I started years ago with a 50/50 planting after local farm store didn't have any Silver Queen and prices we're going crazy.

Sorry, misspelled name, it's Stowell's Evergreen. The white sweet corn is open pollinated and is 162 years old. I buy a $2.00 pack of Silver Queen and plant it in with my saved seed from the previous year. I pick the best ears each year, putting a ribbon around each, and covering them later with cups to keep rain out and mold from starting. Always have more seed than I can plant. I started years ago with a 50/50 planting after local farm store didn't have any Silver Queen and prices we're going crazy.
That's interesting. Do your hybrid plants have a Silver Queen (my favorite) taste? Do you like the taste of the Stowell's as freezer corn? We eat corn fresh, but also blanch and cut off kernels for the freezer.

I'm also laughing at myself 'cause I do this every year....January, cold and blowing, thinking about this years garden and how IT'S GONNA BE PERFECT! :ROFLMAO:

That's interesting. Do your hybrid plants have a Silver Queen (my favorite) taste? Do you like the taste of the Stowell's as freezer corn? We eat corn fresh, but also blanch and cut off kernels for the freezer.

I'm also laughing at myself 'cause I do this every year....January, cold and blowing, thinking about this years garden and how IT'S GONNA BE PERFECT! :ROFLMAO:
Same here, next year will be the best ever. I can't tell any difference anymore, the wife thinks it's not as good as pure Silver Queen taste wise. We had some given to us last fall and I didn't think it was as good. It freezes well with cut off kernels but like all corn needs to be the right maturity. I would be happy to send you some seed if you E-mail me at [email protected] with your mailing address.

Same here, next year will be the best ever. I can't tell any difference anymore, the wife thinks it's not as good as pure Silver Queen taste wise. We had some given to us last fall and I didn't think it was as good. It freezes well with cut off kernels but like all corn needs to be the right maturity. I would be happy to send you some seed if you E-mail me at [email protected] with your mailing address.
Gave my wife a gift certificate to Territorial seed, they have the Stowell's, I'll get her to order me an ounce or 2 when she places her order.
And I think it was you that turned me on to seeds n such last year, and the Mountain line of tomatoes, got my seed ordered for this year.
Thanks

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back