square baler flywheel speeds

karl f

never been near a deere, but from what i see in pictures i gotta ask: does the flywheel spin at plunger speed? if not, how are those gearboxes configured?
just think, if all modern pto equipment still had large flywheels, the power requirements just might drop a bit.

karl f

I don't know if flywheel on a JD baler turns at pto speed or not but it does turn alot faster than the plungerhead strokes. There are two gears in main gearbox. One gear is very small(flywheel) and the other one is large(plungerhead crank) Tx Jim

Flywheel is (shear) bolted to the pto shaft, so it's turning at about 540 rpm. Plunger usually runs about 60-70 strokes per minute. Machines would take the same power- the flywheel just keeps things running steady through the tough spots....ie, rapid changes in load. More continuous, steady power.

point of reference: on the deeres the flywheel is 90 degrees to the pto shaft on the side of the baler, which is why i asked my question. most others have the flywheel attatched to the pto on the front of the baler.
:)
-karl f

the flywheel on a Deere runs of the end of the crank for the plunger don't it? not sure not a JD person and if it dose then it only turns 70 +or- rpm but like i said not in to JD

Interesting point- I started farming 35 years ago with a 14T JD baler- bought the NH 268 two years later. Hope it's not oldtimers disease, but I think you are right,about the location of the flywheel on the JD baler. Best thing to do would be to turn the pto shaft, see how many turns you get from the flywheel, see if it is 1:1?

Marlowe,the flywheel on a JD baler is not attached directly to the plungerhead crankshaft. It's on a short shaft with a small gear that meshes with a large gear that is on crankshaft. Therefore the flywheel turns at a much greater rpm than plungerhead strokes! Tx Jim

I just sold my 14t jd baler. Flywheel turns faster than plunger speed. The 14t is differant than other jd balers because when you shear a pin it only disconnects the flywheel. The drive line is still connected to plunger and baler depends on slip clutch on pto shaft for protection. If your baler plugs and clutch doesnt slip your pto shaft twists off. Dont ask me how i know that.

Gene S just which JD baler models are you refering to as being different from a 14T as far a flywheel goes. Once one gets past the 114W/116W as they were before my knowledge, the flywheel doesn't drive the baler,the pto shaft does but the flywheel does give it momentum until the shear pin gives it up. Tx Jim

Im only familar with JD 14t and 336 JD balers. On a 336 if baler plugs and flywheel pin shears the drivetrain is disconected from plunger, like most balers. On 14t you can shear the pin on flywheel but drivetrain still runs plunger, slipclutch on pto must slip to protect driveline

Gene S your 336 is a one of a kind if the pto shaft/slip clutch is not on the imput shaft of the main gear box which is exactly like the 14T. With sheared flywheel bolt the slip clutch has to slip for baler to stop turning a long as tractor pto is engaged. If 336 is engine driven then sheared flywheel bolt causes baler to stop. As I previously stated on pto driven JD balers the flywheel shear bolt only powers the flywheel not the complete machine. Tx Jim

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back