Squares in a round?

Anyone know or have a good estimate of how many small square bales (14x18x36) are in a 4x4 round bale? I know the best way would be to weigh some of each, but the nearest scales are a long ways away and with gas being $3+ a gallon I am looking for a cheaper way.
 
I remember a neighbour baled beside me with a 4x5 in straw and I had a 124 massey squear,he had to stop and tie so I could almost keep up for a bit,and I got around 20-22 bales in his.A 4x4 is only 20 percent shorter,but is 20 percent narrower and yada yada yada.I would be surprized if there would be more than 12 squears in a 4x4.My guess anyways.
 
Figgering relative volumn, the 4 X 4 round has 9.6 times the volumn. Now you need to guess how the density compares.

HTH

Areo
 
if the 3' bale weighed 40#, and the 4x4 bale was 800#, there would be 20 small bales in the round bale. i've seen a lot of people who made "50# bales" that actually averaged 37# or less, and my round dry bales usually weigh less over scales than what the owners manual says the baler is capable of. if you were talking 35# and 600# bales, you'd have 17 bales worth. and so forth. hth.
 
If you want net amount I would say about 7 bales. I always fed about 40 square bales (50# or so) per cow per winter. Now I feed about 6 4x5 bales per cow per winter. There is usually more waste in a round bale.
 
You can only answer the question if you know the average weight of the respective bales. This is like asking how many board feet of timber in a tree? Depends on the size of the tree!
If you assume the density is the same you can figure out the relative volumes easily, but how good is the assumption that the bale density is the same?
 
Kinda unrelated...........had a 24T and a 605C at the same time in the 70s (coulda been the early 80s). Locally, everybody called the 5 by 6 bales 1500#. We ran the two balers side by side.....identical windrows.......several times. The small bales consistently weighed 55 # and there would be 21 or 22 smalls in the same distance as one large, so the 5 by 6 were weighing about 1200 #. Obviously, it depended on how the 2 bales were set...........
 
PERFECT way of telling is to have both machines in the field side by side baling hay. When the round baler dumps the bale, you stop the square baler and count off the square bales behind ya.

(kinda hard to do if you have one but not the other, lol)
 
I unrolled some round bales that didnt get the twine right and the best that i can remember is they had 12 or 13 square bales.
 
Generally 400-450 lbs of hay in a 4x4 from a variable chamber balers. The bigger the bale the more variation in weight there is.
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top