Starline Fence Stretcher, Block and Tackle

560Dennis

I bought this cause We had one on farm . I did not know it was designed a fence stretcher. I was made in Harvard,Illinois.
I see the loop is redone with hose clamp and wire ,so Im going to follow a your tube how to loop rope video.
I might seen it used when I was very young ,cant remember the details were or when , Ill ask my big brother someday .
Anyone else have one of these out that can tell us more about the techniques . The hook is very interesting design .
cvphoto148844.jpg

cvphoto148845.jpg

cvphoto148846.jpg

cvphoto148847.jpg

My Dad had one like it which wound up with me. Darned if I can remember where it is. I'll tell you this; It's no where near as nice as yours. After you redo the loop, it would make a nice display piece in your shop.

The one we had used a piece of chain (like tire chain side chain) on double hook end that was usually wrapped around post the other end where you have loop had a cam type attachment that grabbed the wire. When tight the loose tag end was tied off on post when tag end was pulled tight with fencing pliers. Easier to do than say if this doesn't make sense.

Found this link about Starline
Congratulations they repurpose the factory and are using Still
I was looking for what they did
Here s a link about the factory
https://starlinefactory.com/about/

practice your rope braiding as that is the way it should be instead of that clamp. on mine the wire is attached with a lever sort of thing to hold it.

I still have one I use on occasion. Mine is the way Leroy described with chain on one end and cam set up to attach to wire on the other. works good but more cumbersome than other type streacher

Could You please photo the cam set ups you have ?
I vaguely remember the farm one having a chain . I might be able to know what to look for .

Mine must be similar to yours. It's got a slip type outfit that opens up then close to grip the wire. The other end of mine has a large tin hook on it that can be hooked to a log chain, tractor drawbar, loader bucket, whatever's handy. Mine belonged to the power company. I found it under the power line one time after they'd been repairing lines after an ice storm.

I've built a LOT of fence with that thing.

We have one that looks like that on an auger to a gravity wagon. For stretching fence we just looped the end of the wire over a pipe or something short like that, put the log chain around each end and around the rear axle on the H and slowly pulled it tight then would walk it to check for problems and tightness. With a foot or so left loose we could wrap the end around the corner post without losing much of the tightness or have the wire tight to the corner post when pulled tight so it could be started wraping around it. Never pulled fence with a rope or other nonsense like that. For woven wire we wrapped the fence wire around a regular post then pulled it with the chain looped a couple cables arounf the corner post and the one we were pulling tighten the cables up then tighten the clamps let tractor off.

We had one like that back on the farm, but ours had a wire gripper instead of the double hook, I don't know what happened to it. I have one now that I got somewhere, but only the top block is original, I made the bottom block and hook. We use it for hanging deer to skin and butcher.

I'd forgot that I have two. There's one just like that hanging in the garage, but I've never used it. There's a chain on that one. I assume it was to hook to a post or whatever was handy.

It is what we called a block and tackle. Had one untill I lost the farm 4 years ago. It is made so it will grab and hold the rope with something lifted with it untill you pull it one direction, to releace it, I forget what way but it did not work good. The one we used the most did not have that part on it and we would tie the rope to something to hold the load up; Lifted many a time wheel weights to put on or take off tractor made out of concrete and weighed I would guess 400# each. That was before I got a chain hoist. Never looked for a name on either. And the top hook is made to put a piece of chain on to put around a beam or tree limb to hold it up. one half inch rope and need 5 times as long as what you were wanting to lift.

I have one made by Klein (tool company) that is aluminum. Found it along a railroad track with the manila rope rotted and falling apart but the blocks looked excellent.. Replaced the rope with 50' of 1/2" braided rope and have used it for a lot of different things from pulling different types of fence wire, tree work to hanging deer and animals being slaughtered.

It is very easy to replace the rope on one.

We had a barn built in 1947 that had all Starline windows. I think they might have had those manure buckets that ran out on a track too. We had one of those rope block and tackles too but don't know who made.

That's a big old building in Harvard, think they have weddings and other things going on there now.

Redid the eye . Watched a video on YouTube how to make an eye loop . Took a couple of trys to get the over and under right. Was having so much fun I kept going . Took a few out . Only need at least three for natural fibers.
Cut out the frayed ends after I put a sailers whip on the ends.

cvphoto148935.jpg

cvphoto148936.jpg

Got the hose clamp and wire out of there , the hose clamp was cutting into the rope.

The spear like pivoting attachment point was used with a link chain. The last link in the chain was placed on the hook with the Cross T, the chain was wrapped around an immovable (hopefully) object and rehooked on the opposite side. Effective and quick. Jim

Rope to large of diameter , noticed the hammer marks on the release lever . Probably why so little use .
Any one have suggestions on the diameter of rope it came e with ?

Thank so much for the tip !
I dont remember using it very well , only thing I remember was it stretching barbed wire for pasture quite a distance ,say 100 yards or more

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back