Starter Drive for MD

fastfarmall

Has anybody ever got a backwards drive for a starter, i did, i gave the supplier,the number of the Delco Remy starter,and put it on never checked it, fit perfectly but it spins in, instead of out, never heard of one before, have you? One other thing on the MD, whats that line for, from the middle of the clean air intake line, to the injection pump?

It is the injection pump air cleaner. The injection pump has its own oil reservoir, and when it heats in operation, it pushes air out, and when it cools, it sucks air in, clean air through that filter unit. Jim
Air cleaner

If you just replaced a the starter drive in the starter that had been on your tractor and working your description is not mechanically possible. For your description to be plausible the twisted splines on the armature shaft would need to be completely re-machined. I suspect the issue with your replacement drive is that the one-way clutch has been assembled incorrectly to lock the wrong direction.

How do you put on a starter drive on wrong,put it on the wrong end, they admited they sent the wrong one, i just called the supplier, their mistake, but no money for my troubles, typical parts jobber! They sent me 220-12151, should of been 161!

You need a 'special' counter clockwise drive.Those IH/Farmall tractors have the starter BEHIND the flywheel,instead of in front,like most other outfits use.They may look the same,but they are not.

Clockwise from the driver's point of view spins the engine clockwise from the hand crank point of view. Jim

I've never heard of any parts company giving money to the customer for a wrong part or a defective part. Back in the 60's my dad had to get six water pumps for a from NAPA before he got one the seal didn't leak. In the 60's NAPA was our one and only parts store. Couldn't go somewhere else.

I did not say you put it on wrong, I am saying your description of your problem is wrong. If the the splines are made as such that the turning motion of the starter pull the drive towards the inside of the starter it is would be nearly impossible to install on the splines of your armature. The angles of the splines inside the drive would be opposite angles. To accommodate the description you gave the splines angles on both the inside of the drive and on the armature shaft would need to angle or twist in completely opposite angle or direction then what it had originally. That is why I said ..if it had been in use on a tractor. If this is a replacement starter you are setting up for use then
It is possible the unit turns the wrong direction.

Edit: My apologies! I was thinking about later model Delco starters that the twisted splines are integral to the armature shaft. I forgot these older models have drives that mount with the set screw style bolts. So yes in this case I can see how what you described could be true with the wrong style drive. To tired this week, working longer hours at work.

This post was edited by used red MN on 08/04/2021 at 08:26 pm.

I dont think so,, the starter run, but empty, it just hummed,i still had the old run set em side bye side,it was opposite spiral !

(quoted from post at 19:03:57 08/04/21) I've never heard of any parts company giving money to the customer for a wrong part or a defective part. Back in the 60's my dad had to get six water pumps for a from NAPA before he got one the seal didn't leak. In the 60's NAPA was our one and only parts store. Couldn't go somewhere else.

Neither have I. Best you can hope for is that they get you the right part with no more money out of your pocket. I've had times where they want me to pay return shipping on the wrong part or shipping on the right part! Whatever happened to an honest mistake, forgive and forget? Everyone these days expects reparations for the smallest slight.

(quoted from post at 19:03:57 08/04/21) Back in the 60's my dad had to get six water pumps for a from NAPA before he got one the seal didn't leak. In the 60's NAPA was our one and only parts store. Couldn't go somewhere else.

Same here in KC area. NAPA was it and they charged list price - no discount as we get now.

Hey, you are excused red,all i knew they sent me the wrong one,but i wander where they use backwards started drives, UK ?

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back