Starter issue with my 1936 road grader with I-12 engine

STP36500

With all your help I was able to rebuild the carb and also flushed the radiator and the engine started first push of the button. I made the first pass of the driveway with the grader. I took a break and was going to finish grading the driveway after lunch. Well the starter would not engage.....I easily removed the starter and took it apart to look at the bendix. The starter spring on the bendix is broken. See pictures. This is an Auto-Lite Max 4080 15D starter.

With all your experience, where can I find this spring, what information should I have and who to call? Thank you!!!!
1000009812.jpg
1000009814.jpg

If it ain’t one thing it’s six .
To bad . But its fixable.
Not much experience with auto lite , had them on the massy Harris combine.

But to your starter I would take it to someone that has years of experience with older starters . Like Buckeye auto electric in Painesvill ,Ohio
here the link

give some like this in your area as a suggestion

Look at F3145 Bendix spring on eBay. They may came in right or left wound.
I've replaced them cause they periodically break.

Them tractors did not normally have a starter in the 30’s. Looks like from the next series. U need to count the teeth as it looks like the common starter from the 1950’s era. Such as the M and H. Go to Napa they can help. Them bendix’s were still available.

Them companies who used Them tractors as power units for Them graders probably made Them starter attachments for Them tractors in their own factory. They probably machined Them flywheels to take Them ring gears and bought Them starters somewhere else.

I had one break on a 56 ford and an old time mechanic welded it and it lasted for many years
I didn’t want to be the first one , possibly the only one, to suggest that. I have a slant six in a Yale forklift that broke in the exact same place. Was on the weekend and I welded it, hoping to get one or two starts out of it until Monday. That was ten years ago , never did get around to fixing it.!

With all your help I was able to rebuild the carb and also flushed the radiator and the engine started first push of the button. I made the first pass of the driveway with the grader. I took a break and was going to finish grading the driveway after lunch. Well the starter would not engage.....I easily removed the starter and took it apart to look at the bendix. The starter spring on the bendix is broken. See pictures. This is an Auto-Lite Max 4080 15D starter.

With all your experience, where can I find this spring, what information should I have and who to call? Thank you!!!!
View attachment 67700View attachment 67701

I was going to weld the broken spring, but went to NAPA in North Bend, WA and while they were able to match a replacement for the starter, there was not an option to order or purchase. They quick stated that I would need to go to Romaine Electric in Renton, WA. I called and they had the part in stock and was waiting when I arrived. They even helped taking apart to make sure it matched. I am sure there are others all around the country, but if you are looking for parts or them to rebuild your alternators or starters, they are an option and very knowledgeable.

Attachments

• 1000009834.jpg
    1000009834.jpg
    665.2 KB · Views: 16
I was going to weld the broken spring, but went to NAPA in North Bend, WA and while they were able to match a replacement for the starter, there was not an option to order or purchase. They quick stated that I would need to go to Romaine Electric in Renton, WA. I called and they had the part in stock and was waiting when I arrived. They even helped taking apart to make sure it matched. I am sure there are others all around the country, but if you are looking for parts or them to rebuild your alternators or starters, they are an option and very knowledgeable.
Good show !

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back