Starter problems still going on

Mike(NEOhio)

I posted a week or so back about the starter not engaging. Took it off and found one brush holder had a missing rivet, repaired that but still had the engaging problem. I seems to work well in a bench test. Tried it on the tractor with the pole shoe cover off. It snaps in and the starter spins but the pinion doesn't engage and it just growls. I thought maybe it's the flywheel teeth, they show some wear, so today I got in there with the Dremel and put the lead angle on all the teeth. Starter back on and it still will not crank, only growls. My question is how would I know if I should replace the whole starter or just the Bendix? Pictures of teeth before and after.

Attachments

• IMG_20240505_112856492[1].jpg
    IMG_20240505_112856492[1].jpg
    642.2 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_20240505_112909836[1].jpg
    IMG_20240505_112909836[1].jpg
    495.9 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_20240505_143627175[1].jpg
    IMG_20240505_143627175[1].jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 17
I would replace the Bendix if the starter is spinning fine on the bench. The 3000 starter I referred to in your previous post spun fine on the bench the drive came out like should have but the drive was stripped out inside and wouldn't turn the motor over at all. Installed the new drive from my rebuilder and everything is fine.

Sounds like a starter problem to me... I do have a pretty good Lucas starter here For Sale if interested. It runs good when hooked up to a battery

Attachments

• 20240505_150305.jpg
    20240505_150305.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 6
  • 20240505_150346.jpg
    20240505_150346.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 10
I would replace the Bendix if the starter is spinning fine on the bench. The 3000 starter I referred to in your previous post spun fine on the bench the drive came out like should have but the drive was stripped out inside and wouldn't turn the motor over at all. Installed the new drive from my rebuilder and everything is fine.
It makes a lot of noise which I thought was the pinion spinning against the flywheel teeth. Could that be the Bendix slipping? When I turn it by hand it runs free in one direction and grabs in the other like it should. Tomorrow I'll test it with the pinion locked and see if that's the noise.

Do yourself and your tractor a favor and ask around for a local starter alternator shop. Have them look at it and fix it.

Don't know if this pertains to your problem, but it's something that happened to me.
Replaced the starter and bendix. Ran it for several years until one day bendix wouldn't engage. Split the tractor and this is what I found.
The replacement starter/bendix and specifically the bendix were incorrect. The length of the teeth on it were to short thus leading to the teeth on the flywheel being chewed off.
Pics show what the engagement looked like, difference in tooth length and damage to the flywheel.

Attachments

• FullSizeRender_zps4dc3f4eb.jpeg
    FullSizeRender_zps4dc3f4eb.jpeg
    70.1 KB · Views: 10
  • FullSizeRender_zps8d57c225 (1).jpeg
    FullSizeRender_zps8d57c225 (1).jpeg
    95.3 KB · Views: 10
  • fly_zps3b85ebd0.jpeg
    fly_zps3b85ebd0.jpeg
    54.1 KB · Views: 14
Smear some heavy grease over the teeth on the flywheel, just the ones visible through the starter hole, no need the coat them all
Install the starter and try cranking the engine a few times, remove the starter and check to see if the starter gear engaged the flywheel ring and how deep, there should be grease on the bendix gear teeth to indicate the depth of engagement
If it shows good gear engagement replace the bendix

Ordered a new Bendix this morning. It was missing most times turning it by hand. I cut the old one apart, never really knew what's inside them. Rollers and springs. Springs were all collapsed. All along it was engaging, just not turning the flywheel. Never too old to learn.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back