Still truck shoppin'...F-350 Ram 3500??

Ok...I"m sure you guys are getting tired of me asking about trucks, but I"ve never owned a Ford so I"m full of questions. I"ve found 3 Fords, all 4wd, one is a 2000 7.3 XLT, dually, supercab, 123k miles, little body damage to bed but its just sheet metal and I could care less about it, and 5 speed for $7900. The next is on 2005 model, single rear wheel, crew cab, LOADED, V-10 gas with the 6 speed, 70k miles, $13800. The last Ford is a F-350 Single rear wheel, 5.4, 6 speed, 3.73 gears, 33k miles, $16000.

I"ve also found a 3 or 4 Dodges. 1999 thru 2003, all manual shift, all duallys, all 4wd, and all 5.9 cummins. Miles vary from 80k to 125k. Price ranges from $13,900 to $15,900. What"s the best buy and why?? Truck will be used as a daily driver so MPG is somewhat of a concern, but I also don"t want a truck that I"m gonna have to soend creation on puttin" injectors and and injector pumps on. How many miles are these diesels really dependable for?? What about the rest of the truck? What should I be looking for?? I"m kinda leaning towards the $7900 powerstroke, but all of the trucks are 4 to 5 hours away so I want to be informed before I head out.

I guess I should add that besides a daily driver it"s gonna tow 6k lbs to 10k lbs 10 to 20 times a year, plus some misc. loads of hay. Sorry for the long post and thanks again for any input.

If you want my opinion here it is. Diesel used to be the way to go, but the cost of fuel got so dang high that it stopped out weighing the mileage for the way you will use it. However it is getting back close to the $2 mark around here which is still bull because the way I understand diesel is a byproduct from gas refinery. Ive never heard anybody jump up and down about how much they love their triton motor. Ive got a 99 7.3 f350 6 speed w/ 127,000 on it and I would hook the trailer and drive cross country this afternoon if I had to. If the Fords have more than 80,000 they will need ball joints and clutch soon if not already done. Trust me here. Cummins makes a heck of a good motor too and you would be smart to stick w/ a standard trans in the dodge. If your just looking for raw power the 6 cyl diesel is hard to beat. In my opinion you dont need a dually, but it all comes down to personal pref. With the $7900 truck you can afford a few nickels and dimes, but hopefully w/ the newer ones you wouldn't have to. A vehicle is the worst investment in the world, good luck.

I have had 2 Ford diesel's and [the last5 ]Dodge's Stay away from the Ford v10,you can't afford to drive it.The Dodge with 6 speed are much better at towing than the 5 speeds are.the o3 dodge would be my choice.they drive and ride great and get good fuel millage.

out of the ones listed the 2000 Ford with 7.3 would be the best all around.Don"t be scared of the V-10 either plenty of power and not too bad on fuel if driven responsibly.all the gas burners will average 14-16 mpg in real world conservative driving the 7.3 should average around 19-21 mpg in the same conditions. make sure to let the diesel warm up and don"t lugg it and you will find better results and dependability. If you would have said 96-97 Dodge with diesel then that would be my choice

I'd go with the least expensive truck overall. At 7900 that seems like the best deal to me. For me, its either buy cheap, drive forever (or until something big happens), and throw away or buy new, keep it up, and keep until the wheels fall off.

Im trying to decide what to do about vehicles too. I've got an 01 Dodge diesel with 185,000. Put 8000 under the hood last year in it so hopefully its got a while left. I'd like to get a new Ford but...... Im tight too. My daily driver is a 95 Intrepid with 220,000. Just spund the top out of the transmission in it. Im putting a used one in to buy some time to decide. Plus step daughter needs a car in a few months and shes getting the old ghetto mobile. Right now Im leaning toward getting a Toyota to replace the car and keep the Dodge for trailer pulling. Im really wanting a VW Jetta or an X type Jag and both are available used for reasonable. So Im stuck on figuring out daily drivers and keeping the truck.

Well, if cheaper is better, then there is a 2000 model Chevy 2500, 6.0, automatic, push button 4wd, LS model, ext cab, 3rd door with 96k miles that is local...asking price is $8900, but I was told he would deal, especially if I found anything wrong with the truck...which it needs all new brakes...hoses, calipers, rotors, and pads ll the way around and it needs new tires...so I figure that $1200 to $1500 dollars worth of work, depending on how much I do myself. Even though it is the 4L80E auto, I'm still not real fond of the idea of an automatic, even for what little towing I will be doing...changing clutches is one things, rebuilding autos is another....

Well today's clutches are around as expensive as rebuilt auto trannies. Nothing like the old days you may of been used to.

Here is my take on the trucks of today . They all have there problems . I do not care much for a V8 diesel and i myself do not like a V10 gasser . I will never have another automatic transmission in a pickup. The down side of the dodges in my opinion is the hub and bearing ft. end with NO LOCK OUT HUBS . he Cummins engine is great if taken care of like anything else , they will run a long time with normal maintance and and a valve adjustment . A fuel pressure gauge on a dodge is cheap insurance as they have had a issue on the lift- boost pumps . I have a 95 dodge 3500 with a 5 speed that other then a lift pump wheel bearings and ball joints and brake line has been a good truck . Mine has 4.10 gears and this has not been a good combo but that was the only gear for that year with a standard . A better choice would have been a 3.54 gear . The biggest dwon side to ALL the newer trucks with a standard is that the reverse gearing in the transmission is way to high . Myself i liked Fords till they did away with the 460 . My 88 Ford had a ton of problems that took time to work out but when i got them worked out it was one heck of a truck . I asked way tomuch of the truck and it did it's job well . This Dodge that replaced it is a nice truck other then the problems that i stated . IT drives nice handles well and has a nice ride . If i was to go back to what i was doing before i would not go the one ton route again and just bit the bullet and get a older semi tractor and a step deck as if i got to play the game with the DOT #'s the IRP plate and the insurance i might as well have something that will do the job and when not playing it would be able to makes money . Even though i use to haul for other people with my Ford and goose neck there were people that thought that i should haul for free . And once you have a truck and trailer there will alway be somebody that will want you to haul something for them for gas money. Today one must set down and think of just what it costs to hook up and move what every any distance . You set down and start thinking about it and it will shock you. I did this one day while loading up to go play at a tractor pull. It was not the fact that it was going to COST me the fifteen dollars for the two classes or the couple hot dogs and a pepsi or the gas for the tractor it was what it cost to go to that pull . Gas for the truck ware and tear on the truck and trailer plates and insurance WOOOOOooooo man i did not think about all of that .Now today the government wants there cut also and here ya go ya need a CDL ( i have that ) ya need a phiscal card ya need this ya need that ya need to have DOT certified chains and binder on and on . Everybody wants a piece of your arres . But back to the subject here as to the diesel question my take on this is why feed 8 when 6 will do the job and less problems If ya go with a cummins then stay with the 5.9 . Myself i like the older ones with OUT THE ELECTROINIC's at least i can work on them with out a computer to figure out what is wrong.

Just priced a complete clutch kit at Napa for a 2000 Ford 7.3, both 13 inch and 12 inch were less than $500. Is there something else I'm missing?? Or are you getting a heck of a deal on rebuilt autos?? Just curious...never owned a diesel and don't want any suprises...

Son has a 1996 Dodge 3500 Manual tranny 4WD Got 300,000 miles. Pulling 25 Ft, gooseneck stock trailer and 25 ft, Flat bed gooseneck. No engine problems. Rebuit Transmission and he installed new clutch himself. Front end is a bitxxx. Cummings makes front end heavy. He just completed third rebuild. He can do it himself except for alighment Pulling flatbed in hay field while loading is not easy on them. He would buy another but has pretty much master worin on this one.
gitrib

That 7.3 ford sounds like a good deal. I've got 248k on my '95 7.3, and 145 on my '96 7.3. I've have had nary a problem with either one. The auto trans are a bit of an issue, I have consistently worn them out after between 90-125k. Cost about $2500 to have a factory rebuild job. Spent $3500 to have my last one built with all the HD goodies, hope it lasts a bit longer, but mostly did it so it would handle the extra ponies the chip got me. Hauled 20k GCVW 250 miles last week over 3 major mtn passes and just kept chuggin along. I have limited experience with the Ford manuals although my '88 had a 5 speed. Heard good things.
Dodge has a good drivetrain. Don't care for the body/interior. Drove a girlfriends '03 Dodge about 7 hrs straight, to trade it in on a newer Ford. Was just about crippled when I got there, and I'm just a kid. The ford was WAAAY more comfortable on the trip home. I think you'll be dissapointed in both the fuel economy of the V10 and with the lack of power in the little V8.
This is a biased opinion. As I have never owned anything but ford diesels, and likely never will.

Ben

no one has ever made a v8 diesel that was worth a da-. if v8s were any good every farm eq. manufacturer would have them in there tractors just about all tried over the years but just about all were junk. in line is the only good way for a diesel unless you get in to the real big V

Now go price the fylwheel ! especially if you stay with the dual mass original type $$$$$

Did have the turbo 400 in the 1988 shop truck rebuilt last year for $425 now that was a deal !
Hard Drive in Wadsworth Ohio does them for way less then anyone else.

I'm not sure ? alot likely has to do with who is driving it and how souped up it is. The dual mass ones tend to come apart as they are made in 2 pcs.

Well then I guess thats the millin dollar question...I'm pretty sure this truck was/is stock...no chips or anything. Haven't found out much about the past driver yet. And does anyone know if the 2000 model used the dual mass or is it one of those deals where some had it and some didn't...which means if I buy it, it did.

You don't like a GM duramax? Mine is an 01 with 106,000 on it and it will run circles around my dads 96 f350 powerstroke, empty or with 15000 on my gooseneck. father in law has an 08 with the more powerful engine and it runs like a raped ape. stay away from the dodges with autos. The ford auto leaves something to be desired too. Our allison is great for towing, sorry, I like our trucks. good luck!

I actually prefer the GM's...just can't find any in my price range, at least not around here...they all seem to be outrageous. I'd even be willing to consider a GM with the 8.1 and Allison. Only automatic I'd even consider at this point.

(quoted from post at 10:58:30 02/23/09) Just priced a complete clutch kit at Napa for a 2000 Ford 7.3, both 13 inch and 12 inch were less than $500. Is there something else I'm missing?? Or are you getting a heck of a deal on rebuilt autos?? Just curious...never owned a diesel and don't want any suprises...

Pay someone to put it in and the $$ will be similar to getting a rebuilt automatic stuck in. Parts are cheap to rebuild a auto too, it is the labor that kills you.

I would get the V-10, diesel may be cheap now but it won't be that way this summer... not to mention there are many fewer things to go wrong with a gas engine. With last summer's fuel prices a well tuned gas engine will eat a diesel alive for fuel economy.

The torqueshift that came out in '03 is also a much better auto than the one in previous SD's. The later the 6.0 the better, run don't walk away from an older one.

The 6.8l V-10 was less than $1000 more than a 5.4l V-8 on a new truck, I have yet to figure out why people would want the V-8... they both get the same milage.

a37697.jpg
This is a 1999 F350 6 spd 4x4373 rear manual hubs . I have almost 240000 on it been thru 1 set of brakes and rotors getting ready for another set. 1 water pump and am getting ready for my 4 set of tires. I would leave for cross country trip with this rig in a heart beat .

Cheap is not better and the v 10 is even lower on the list of not's.

If you want to wait Dodge will no longer be sold in USA by 2010. Of the big three the silver bullet is in the chamber for Dodge. Go with later GM diesels you will be pleased just on the power alone.

As for Ford everyone should own one Ford in their life time. Many I know went to GM from Ford on diesels.

Avoid the 6 speed auto in hill country cause on cruse control it will drop down to low hole and engine is on red line by top of huge hill when left in cruse control ie., 06 Fored 3/4 ton with 4wd is the example I know about first hand.

from my experience i have to go with the dodge, i got rid of my last ford f350 because it couldnt keep a transfer case in one piece, blew up 3 in 2 years, fella i haul for has a late 90's f350 with the 7.3 and it seems it either wont start at all or he's always putting some sensor or other in it, meanwhile my ol dodge with the 5.9 cummins just runs and runs, had 1 starter and a water pump go out in 250,000 miles gets low to mid 20's for milage on the hiway depending on what im pulling,, i have a real truck too so anything over 12,000 gets hooked behind it not one of my pickups, i have the licence and the insurance and the dot number and the tax crap ect, so i might as well use enough truck for the job and be safe,

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back