Strange phenomena

flying belgian

Helped the neighbor set five wooden fence
posts around his cowyard today. It is
unheard of in s mn to dig holes on the 14
December.

I agree, suppose o be nice until xams,our town is going to pour concrete for a new swimming pool,they had all summer to do it!!!

Not so fast. I recall picking rocks on January 23 1981 before they invented internet for all of us experts to discuss the view of the experts current weather. We hauled them to the creek bank to shore the washing bank.

I'm glad to see it. First because of the lower heating bill.
But also, the deer herd up in central MN was devastated last year because of huge snow and extreme cold.
We saw very few deer this year and nobody got one. These 2 extra months of mild weather will give the few deer that are still around a good chance of surviving as we go into the hardest part of the winter.

My cow yard is dry no mud, no ruts, cattle doing good. Thought i might take the hay feeder out to the woods while it is nice usually wait until the snow flies. I'll maybe give the cows a bale for Christmas next week, but still lots of corn stalks. Saves on feed.

Once in a great while, here in Central Siberia, maybe every 10 years or so, I will see guys driving around towing bass boats during the first week of December. But by February all the lakes have several feet of ice.

Lots of corn stalk hay around here. Anybody ever look up/hear of the protein content of dead stalks, either still in the ground or baled? Would be interesting. Surely a lot of fiber is involved which ruminants can easily handle. Before Ethanol, the major summer crop around here was Maze (spelling?) a Sorghum product, and in drought years those were baled too. I fed them and on a blistering cold, nasty winter day that and either tub protein or bagged cubes, kept the cows in prime.

General question: Is there any grazing value to a field where corn stalks have been baled? The reason I'm asking, is I'm pretty sure I saw someone doing that on youtube.

Last weekend on the 9th I went out and made a couple rounds plowing with the 620 and 3 bottom plow. Pulled pretty good I thought the ground was going to be a lot harder. If I wanted to I could probably go out there this weekend again. Not often you can do that in northern IA.

If the stalks have been baled there is nothing left to have any feed value, only thing is for exersize. Corn stalks have kept cattle fed and in good health for years. Now 43 years since we had cattle but before that we used a corn binder to cut and bundle the stalks but you did that while still slightly green and it cured out in the shock, them ran it thru the corn shreader and put the foder in the barn and ears in crib. Would feed once daily with the foder and what was not eten went out for stable bedding, then other feeding was hay, Cows stayed in good health. I have no idea how much food value stays in the stocks after completely ripe and baled.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back