Super 55 Questions

Anonymous-0

Ok guys, here goes. I've owned a Super 55 for the past few years and was recently considering "trading up" for an Oliver 1365. Turned out that the 1365 had some issues that were corrected and seems to be pushing it a little out of my comfortable price range, although in excellent physical and mechanical condition.

My Super 55 is a 1955 gas model that has the hydraulic cover upgraded to 550 specs. I've replaced the seals in the hydraulics, including lift arms. It's fairly tight overall (as far as leaks are concerned) and the front end is also tight despite having a HEAVY Wagner loader on it. It is equipped with power steering.

After replacing the coil, condenser, and fiddling with the adjustments on the carb, I think it's starting to run pretty good. It does need rear tires, a minor leak repaired on the power steering, new plugs, and fluid/filter change all around. Right now, other than the expenses of what I just mentioned, my only major concerns I have are with the condition of the 3-pt hitch.

The hitch has been used extensively, so most of the holes are good and wallowed out. The adjustable link also has worn threads and does not have full adjustability. Is it possible to repair these issues without replacing (bushings)?

I love the nostalgia of the Super 55, but some part of me thinks the money would be better spent to upgrade and update than to invest in a 53 year old tractor.

Just looking for thoughts and/or opinions if you were in my shoes.

Thanks,
Justin

I too have a super 55. I like it, as I have several other Oliver tractors and an oliver combine. But I am thinking of replacing it with a newer ford diesel. The super 55 looks and works good, and the Ford will never have the class, but it will probably do a lot more work cheaper. I use them for farming, perhaps if I was maintaining property I would stick with the Oliver. Its more enjoyable to use, its not really work, but when it is time to work a newer tractor is nice.

I'm not at all new to tractors but never had any experience with Olivers other than a mistake I made about 30 years ago when I had a chance to buy either a really good shape Super 55 or a JD MT, both for the same price. You guessed it!! I bought the JD!
I now have a chance to buy a Super 55 and will go to look at it this week. Would you tell me what issues specific to a Super 55 I should be looking for or looking out for? Again, I have other tractors but always regretted not getting that Super 55 years ago.

Thanks for your help.

Dave2N

Dave 2N,

There really aren't any weak points in the Super 55. I owned a Ford 8N for my acreage first, and the 55 runs circles around it and most tractors in it's class and size. It's a very solid tractor. Mine has a loader on it and power steering. The swinging drawbar and external hydrualics are also hot items.

If the tractor has a loader, make sure it hasn't gotten the front end loose (check spindles and main frame in the king pin area). Other than that, check for the normal stuff like clutch engagement (adjustable, but can't make up for a bad clutch), brakes (also adjustable), play in steering, hydraulic strength and responsiveness, and proper PTO engagement (most will free wheel, but not with an implement attached).

Tires and sheet metal are obvious. Other things to look for are the updated hydraulic cover (has filter out the front like a 550), alternator and 12-volt conversion.

The wheels came in 2 different diameters - 26" and the more common 28". Mine is the 26" and it's making replacemnt tires more difficult to find, and more expensive. The 28" hub will take the common 6-loop rims and tires that a ton of tractors use (like the 8N).

When I bought mine, I had to work on the hydraulics as the 3-point didn't lift. Turned out to be a cheap and simple fix, but a new pump will run you over $800 (not counting labor if you don't do it yourself). It was already 12-volt (factory or conversion, not sure), but I updated the generator (not working) to an alternator. It had a cobbled-up drawbar that I sold off of it and haven't missed too much since most implements are 3-point and it tended to rub the shafts, but I was a fool when I removed and sold off the auxiliary hydraulics.

Other than what I knew was wrong when I bought it, the only issues I've had with it was getting the carburetor out of whack when trying to adjust it. Just this past weekend got that figured out and replaced the coil, condensor, set the points gap, replaced the plugs and wires, and all fluids/filters. Old Ollie is running like a champ now! I think I'll hang on to him for a while longer. ; )

I have no regrets on my super 55. I will never get rid of her. Here soon I want to get a loader tractor, and I may get a 550. Mine will do everything I want it to do and then some. They are by far superior over the N series fords.

My dad and I just bought a 1955 Super 55 and we love it already. What a sweet running little tractor. It is so much fun to drive and it has good power for its size. I can't wait to restore it. I suppose if you needed a bigger tractor to get more work done, I could see you trading up for something else, but from a collectable standpoint, I wouldn't sell the 55.

The issues we've found are that the early models had weak tie rods and radius arms (the arms that go from below your feet up to the front axle). I'm told that both of these sets are replaceable with ones off later model Super 55's. Otherwise, I'm proud to have one to enjoy even if my other tractors are Farmalls.

Thanks for the info. Seems pretty much like the usual stuff that one would normally look for. I'll be on the lookout for tire size; not interested in 26" tires.
Will report back when I see it. I know they are a good tractor; I wasn't questioning that at all. Just never had experience with them.

Thanks again

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back