Geo-TH,In

One gas tank on the boat would its lose prime. I suspected an air leak.
cvphoto145514.jpg

The black 90 on the gas tank had a crack near the tip of the screwdriver.
All I had was super glue. After many applications of glue last night we were able to use the old gas in the tank today.
Boat has 2 tanks.
Alternative was to buy a new tank off Amazon fo $100.
Planning to empty tank before adding new gas. If glue fails we'll get a new tank
9 gallon tanks are not that easy to find on Amazon.

I never thought that super glue would work.

Only time will tell.

When I empty the tank I'll look inside the
tank at the pick up tube.
This may be better than a new tank.
Thanks

Wrap 2 rounds of binding wire (baling wire!) around the split end, and twist till near snapped. cut off extra coils of the twist, leaving 2 or 3. Layer Gorilla epoxy, or JB weld on the wires till coated. Jim

Someone used a hose clamp. I removed the clamp to find the cracked fitting.
Good news, I know what the problem is.
Worst case, I can order a new tank.

I found some parts that appear to screw in the tank.
If my super glue fails, I'll see if my pick up tube is screwed in.

Amazon
Boat Marine Fuel Tank Pickup 12 x 3/8 ID Pickup Tube with 1/4 NPT Aluminum Fitting
Brand: Harvard Marine MP
$16.98

cvphoto145524.jpg

I would fill the tank with water and braze a fitting in there before spending $100. But thats just me.

(quoted from post at 19:13:09 01/22/23) I would fill the tank with water and braze a fitting in there before spending $100. But thats just me.

Coated or uncoated brazing rod? Tip size? What do you recommend for a plastic/poly tank? :wink:

Add graphite powder to super glue, it creates a super tough , durable and impervious material that sticks like the proverbial to a blanket .

Whether or not super glue works depends a lot on the plastic. I'm guessing that fitting is either high-density polyethylene or ABS, neither of which work that well with super glue.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back