Super H hydraulic three point lift

cejenkinsjr

New User
Hi All, I have a 1954 Super H. I fear I may have screwed up. For many years I have used plain 30 wt, non detergent oil in my hydraulics and I have a leak, not sure where that causes me to have to put in a quart or two every so often to keep the hydraulics working. I don't use this tractor more than a couple times per year and over the weekend I was going to hook up a brush hog. I couldn't find any 30 wt oil so I got some universal hydraulic tractor fluid at the auto parts store and I put nearly a gallon into the hydraulic fill pipe. I didn't come spilling out and so maybe could take more but when I started the tractor and went to lift the 3 point, it came up strong. Went to lower it and it won't go down. It is stuck in the upper most lift position. What have I done, or what can I do to get it to release? thanks in advance

I doubt the difference in fluid has caused the problem. You may have an issue with your valve. For one are the hoses to you 3 point connected with quick couplers? If so did one come unplugged. Second, your valve may have something stuck or broke in it. I have not had one apart but it looks like at least one style of valve used relies on a spring to move the spool to the down position. In that case you will have to disassemble the valve and inspect it for a problem. See attached parts break down, sections 192 or 194. I suspect your tractor has live engine driven hydraulics, it would be unusual if a 1954 had a lift-all belly pump. And another thing does your engine oil seem to gain oil? The seal on the live pump may be leaking into the engine, you do not say if you notice where the leak is.
CNHI Super H hydraulics diagrams

Others more knowledgeable should correct me but once in awhile my 300 u front hydraulics would extend to the very end and not retract. Dead heading I think??. Regardless of how much weight i put on them I couldn't get them to retract. My local mechanic said I could try using the tractors own power to gently push the ram back in. I was very careful about it but sure enough it enough it worked. I'm mor certain whether this is sound advice and whether it would apply to your tractor.

Just re read your post and realized my 2 cents wouldn't apply to the 3 point. That's why i usually leave the suggestions up to the experts!! Good luck.

Thank you. Yes, it is an engine driven unit. Come to think of it, when I ran the tractor, I seemed to have a considerable amount of smoke in the exhaust, like burning oil; more than usual. I kind of wrote it off to the fact that I hadnt run the engine for several months. I will check the engine oil level. I may have a leak of oil into the engine. I thought it took quite a bit more hydraulic fluid than I would have expected. I will consider these diagrams as well and thanks again. Even after sitting for a couple of days now, no relaxation from this stuck up position. I thought with the lever forward maybe it would sag down some over some time but no.

If hydraulic unit cap is vented and you have one operating rod for hydraulics? Loosen hose at unit with something to catch oil to see if hitch drops. If it doesn't drop the problem is outside the hydraulic unit. If it drops you can try one other thing to see if it works. At rear of starter two outlets exit the liftall unit, top and lower outlet. if original pipes they will be teed under fuel tank. Move lift hose to hitch to other outlet and try because they use a separate passage to let pressure back into liftall unit. Maybe when you loosen hose on outlet used now and release pressure it could start working on that port. Agree that you have hydraulic oil going into engine if no leak is seen. 30 weight would cause smoking and some other running problems if overfull but nothing to serious. Not sure how a lot of hydraulic oil would effect engine.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back