Thinking can lead to serious questions. Again, I have a Super MTA with the live power PTO. As some of you might remember I am going to replace the seal in this unit that is filling up with 90 wt. It should have 10 wt. in it. QUESTION which way does the seal go, toward the PTO unit to keep the 10 wt. in or toward the transmission, 90 wt. to keep the 90 wt. out? I hope this makes sense. I have already pulled the 3 point hitch off the tractor to get it out of the way and am waiting on warm weather to get to work. I am aware of the controversy pertaining to using 90 wt. Ellis

Thinking can lead to serious questions. Again, I have a Super MTA with the live power PTO. As some of you might remember I am going to replace the seal in this unit that is filling up with 90 wt. It should have 10 wt. in it. QUESTION which way does the seal go, toward the PTO unit to keep the 10 wt. in or toward the transmission, 90 wt. to keep the 90 wt. out? I hope this makes sense. I have already pulled the 3 point hitch off the tractor to get it out of the way and am waiting on warm weather to get to work. I am aware of the controversy pertaining to using 90 wt. Ellis
The seal goes toward the 90 wt. A different seal could be chosen that can seal both directions, and would likely ride on a different spot on the shaft where it is not worn. Taking the seal in to a Bearing company like Motion Industries is the source of that. Jim

The seal goes toward the 90 wt. A different seal could be chosen that can seal both directions, and would likely ride on a different spot on the shaft where it is not worn. Taking the seal in to a Bearing company like Motion Industries is the source of that. Jim
Thanks Jim, There is a bearing place here called Applied Technology that I use. They are top notch. I have heard of a two way seal.

that seal gets installed with the lip towards the pto housing to keep the pto oil IN. opposite of what jim said. i even checked my pto to make sure with a pic for reference. plus when installing a seal in a housing the lip goes in facing the housing oil. and 80-90 oil in the trans and diff is not a big deal as some make it out to be on these old tractors.

Attachments

• IMG_5747.JPG
    IMG_5747.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 29
Here are a couple pics of the cross section of the PTO from the manual. You can decide which way the seal goes.
Dennis
View attachment 60833View attachment 60834
there is nothing to decide... it goes as in as i noted and also as in your pic from the manual its as i posted. curious why u didnt give the correct seal direction? it only goes in the way i posted with my hands and eye proof., with the lip facing the inside of the housing. is not that enough proof ?🤷‍♂️

Because he is not a “by golly I said so” guy. Different people have different styles.

I do agree that running 90w in the rear end/trans in a TA tractor is not the best choice. It will work but there is a greater possibility that the TA sprague rollers will not lock as quickly running in the thicker oil especially when it is cold.

Last edited:
Because he is not a “by golly I said so” guy. Different people have different styles.

I do agree that running 90w in the rear end/trans in a TA tractor is not the best choice. It will work but there is a greater possibility that the TA sprague rollers will not lock as quickly running in the thicker oil especially when it is cold.
I pull the lever for the TA two times each summer. A real steep part of my hay field dictates going very slow and I creep across that area using extreme caution. It is usually in the high 80's or low 90's during hay season. My Uncle gave me his tractor (SMTA) in 1992. I don't know if he ever had the TA overhauled or not. He owned a road construction company, he was very particular about his dozers, pans and graders so I suspect he took very good care of this tractor. Ellis

I pull the lever for the TA two times each summer. A real steep part of my hay field dictates going very slow and I creep across that area using extreme caution. It is usually in the high 80's or low 90's during hay season. My Uncle gave me his tractor (SMTA) in 1992. I don't know if he ever had the TA overhauled or not. He owned a road construction company, he was very particular about his dozers, pans and graders so I suspect he took very good care of this tractor. Ellis
your seal number is 359449 r91 , this is a single lip sea that is in it. so if you find a double lip seal , should be good if its not any wider. that seal holds the oil in the pto housing. and if its a double lip you still install the seal the same way. the out side lip is more of a dust sealing thing . its non of "it dont matter" stuff. good luck.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back