Super h starter issue again

2farmRon

Hello folks,

If you read my previous thread titled Super h starter issue here's an update and another problem. Long story short I was questioning the quality of my starter rebuild and was looking for advice about a replacement starter. The update is I decided to have my current starter tested at another shop and it tested fine. I inspected my wires and found a bad ground from the positive cable on the battery to the starter mount.

Now the problem. When the previous shop did the rebuild they replaced the improved style starter drive with the original style. Because I remember my dad having problems until he switched over to the improved style I bought an improved starter drive to install. Tonight I was installing it but I have an issue. The screw that goes into the detent on the shaft to secure the drive doesn't have enough clearance to unscrew far enough to allow the drive to slide onto the shaft. The top of the screw hits the shoulder on the drive. I'm lost and need help to figure this out. Can someone help me?

Thanks in advance.
cvphoto86764.jpg

cvphoto86765.jpg

cvphoto86766.jpg

Have not been into one of those in a while will that plate covering the screw head push out of the way? I thought it was just held in that position by a spring. If I remember right, not easy but it can be done. They should make those set screws with Allen or Torx heads that would sure work better.

and to add, that armature needs a good clean up. get some 600 fine emery cloth and get that commutator shined up and use a pick to make sure the separations have no junk between them. then spray it off with brake clean. you want the brushes to have good contact. plus clean that paint of the armature.

R.red. curious why do you suggest to clean the paint off? Cooling would be my guess, doubtful it will make a hill of beans difference in his case. The magnetic field definitely will not care. Again just curious...

ya i know thats what they say. but that fine of emery and washing it with brake clean works better. that sandpaper is too course.

Delco said to use grade 00 sandpaper, which is number 100. They make sandpaper in finer grades than that if you prefer.

Thank you very much for the replies. They help a lot. I thought about compressing the drive so I could loosen the screw but I felt quite a bit of resistance so I was afraid to. There were no instructions with the part.

I was surprised to see the paint on the armature. I don't think I've ever saw that before but I don't take starters apart very often.

Thanks again.

I would not worry about the coating on the armature. Are you sure it is paint and not shellac or varnish from sealing the windings? I've only been around one of those drives and it didn't last a week and went back to the old original has been in there a few years now. If this is a 6volt starter on 12 volt put a smaller wire to the starter from the starter switch or from the battery. On our H I went from the switch to the starter with about an 8 ga. wire and works fine.

Agree with caterpillar guy about the red coating. It is probably glyptal. Coating an armature like that is/was probably routine for some rebuilders.

Good luck getting that screw in there without bugging up threads. Sent mine back to yt, they sent me another replacement, it sets on the shelve. I got the original works fine with a six volt system.

the factory does not have paint on any armature. i always make them shiny. i dont know why this one is red .

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back