Super M Trans Refresh?

Hello All, So i have a super M all torn down waiting to assemble my new engine kit. My question is , do i open a can of worms and go after the trans bearings (which look original) while they are really accessible.? This tractor had mega hours on it . Was rebuilt at least once before me. My machinist had to take .030 off the main bearing journals. I WILL replace the oil seals no matter what. Looks like four or five bearings.... Still all available? This tractor will be used for work. Won't be a parade queen. I'm no stranger to mechanical work. Been doing it for 50 years! Phew! Just don't want to get bogged down in a nightmare if i don't have to. I would value all of your opinions. Been on here for years following you all. It's time for me to FINISH this Bucket list tractor! Many more questions will be coming guys... Thanks.... Darryl

The hardest trans component is getting gear mesh on the pinion and ring. All other things are straight forward. the belly pump drive comes off lefty loosy, and can be tough. Put it in High gear and use a 1/2 piece of Keyway or square stock to assist its removal. Jim

In actuality the only thing you save by doing it now is a slightly more difficult clutch connection. If your intention is to replace the trans seals then it is up to you if you want to do the bearings. If it was used as much as you say the bearings will have some play in them. I am not 100 percent sure if the front bearing on the bottom shaft will slide out or if it requires the whole shaft to be pulled out and press it off. Here is a link to the CNHI Farmall M trans parts page.
M Trans parts page

Jim ya make a TOOL for that , A pieces of hardened square and a grade five or better 5/8th or 3/4 nut welded to the key stock with a good deep penetrating weld with either 7018 rod at 120-140 amps or L 56 wire and A G 25 gas at around 140 -180 amps . Now ya can even use my impact and buzz them off in a flash . I have made up a hand full of them over time . First two did not stand up to my impact as it has no mercy on weak welds of bolts . Has a bad habit of twisting off 5/8ths bolts when ya let it hammer a bit .

Good idea for a operating mechanic. I have 20 or so tools made for one job. At times there is only one job to do and nothing else can work except a tool made on site to do it. Innovation is a critical part of good productive mechanics. I have no problem creating time saving solutions, even using expensive components to get it done. Flat rate waits for no one. rework is not a good choice. Jim

Thanks for the advice Jim. I have that nut loose already, the one that drives the belly pump. Top cover is loose... Drive shaft connection was real sloppy, which is why i'm concerned about the bearings. Like i said they look original. Any vendors out there have bearings and seals? I know i can try to match them up at the auto parts store. But i thought i had read on here that some of the IH numbers were hard to match up. Oh boy! This is gonna be fun!!! Thanks Darryl

Thanks for the IH trans page. I assume they still carry parts for these old girls. looks like IH will be getting a a lot of cash from me.... Thanks again .... Darryl

Motion Industries, or Kaman Bearing are better sources. Be sure to match the complete cross reference number. App are metric. The difficult bearing to find might be the pilot bearing between the input shaft, and the output shaft. Replacing the worn drive coupling tapered bolts is also important and somewhat expensive/difficult to find. Jim

Hi Jim, yes one of my next posts was going to be about the bolts and rubber washers in the drive shaft. When i took this apart it was real loose and some of the rubber washers were missing. I thought that with all the guys building M's for pulling that maybe these parts would be available. I see this is going to be a challenge. But i'm up for that. Thanks for all your great advice. Appreciate it. More questions coming!! Darryl

I looked every where for that pilot bearing and nobody had it or could get it. Motion ind. said it was a hundred bucks but didn't know when they could get it.

Finally out of desperation I called the IH dealer and he had them on the shelf, fifty bucks.

I'm about 99 % sure this is the box the bearing came in, price probably went up since I bought this about eight years ago. Went in an early 53 Super M.
cvphoto94433.jpg

cvphoto94434.jpg

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back