Super MTA Issue

The live power unit on my tractor is filling up with 90 wt. and dripping out the breather cap at the top of the unit. Is there a seal between the transmission and the PTO housing that could be leaking ? I need to finish mowing about 10 acres, will I ruin anything to keep mowing? Could someone post a blow-up of the guts of the PTO? I am a fair mechanic, I put new axle bearings in my other M, with my wife's help. Would this be a difficult job. Thanks, Ellis

Not sure on an Mta, but there is a seal between the rear end and the pto unit on my Farmall 300. I replaced mine years ago. If I remember right I pulled off the pto unit to replace the seal. I dont think it was a hard job. That was 15 years ago and the details escape me. I doubt it will hurt the pto unit. Probably just make a mess as the excess comes out the breather. I could be wrong though.

Heavy but not too complex. getting it in and aligned with the splines is somewhat the hard part. a 4 foot pipe ofer the PTO output shaft can help, as well as an engine hoist to carry the weight. The thick oil may cause issues with starting and stopping the PTO when the blend of Hytran and 90 wt reach more 90 less hytran. But rinsing it out after seal replacement would work. Part 17 in the Image. Jim
diagram

I've had mine out of my 300 twice in the last 15 years. Make yourself 4 guide pins by cutting the heads off of the longest 1/2 bolts you can find, I believe that is the size of bolts holding the PTO on the tractor, and a long pipe to put on the PTO shaft for leverage. The guide pins will help keep the PTO lined up and the pipe allows you to wiggle it around. I would recommend using Hytran in the transmission so the TA doesn't get ruined by the heavy oil which happened to me. The seal replacement is easy. Getting it back in is the hardest job and that is where the guide pins are extremely handy!!!

Welp first off ya should NOT be running 90 weight in a S/MTA it SHOULD HAVE HY TRAN . Your problem is the ft seal in the PTO is leaking from the transmission back into the PTO , a quick fix is to go get a 1/4 pipe nipple and a coupler and make the nipple about 6 inches long , remove the breather and screw the nipple in , put the couple on the other end and screw in your breather and RUN IT

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back