Supporting the tractor while doing front end work

Hi All!

The front end on my 1955 TO 35 has an issue with the left spindle assembly causing the tractor to pull to the left. Could adjust the steering links but there is no telling what shape the bushings are in.

Would like to remove the axle support assembly from the engine and do a complete assessment and replace/recondition parts.

What is the best way to securely support the tractor for an extended period while ordering parts? What kind of support equipment is useful and where is the best place to put the supporting equipment?

very best regards,
William

I just use good cribbing under the transmission.
mvphoto34838.jpg

You will most likely find the center pivot bushings and pin worn.

It will probably need new spindles, as they will be worn where the king pin bushings ride.

The worst case, the bushings will have worn through completely and the spindle shaft has cut into the housing. If that has happened the housings will need to be replaced.

The new bushing will have to be reamed to size. A commercial duty truck suspension shop can install and ream them cheaper and easier than DIY.

Keep in mind, this is not a road vehicle. Not everything needs to be factory spec perfect. If it gets too expensive, cutting some corners is acceptable.

When you go back together, I can walk you through the string and tape measure alignment procedure if needed.

*1 on the cribbing! you can't be too stable! My shop looks like it belongs to a house mover, you can't have to much!

<a href="https://s33.photobucket.com/user/Joecdeere/media/02S%2033_zps3oqqontf.jpg.html" target="_blank">
02S%2033_zps3oqqontf.jpg" border="0" alt=" photo 02S 33_zps3oqqontf.jpg
</a>

Wood cribbing as shown or steel stands -- No concrete blocks! They can unexpectedly fracture and fail when used as support in such a situation.

Cribbing is the approved method in the fire service. You follow your lifting device up adding pieces as you lift.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back