Does it do this at higher throttle settings? My uncles H
had a plugging in a carb passage a it would surge at
about half throttle and below. Once the carb was
cleaned it was back to normal. You say you see the
governor working up and down so you must have the
slanted cover with the vent tube open. If so when
it is running grab the linkage and hold it still, if the
engine still surges your problem is in the carb, if that
stops the surging the problem is in the governor.

(quoted from post at 07:34:20 07/31/22) Does it do this at higher throttle settings? My uncles H
had a plugging in a carb passage a it would surge at
about half throttle and below. Once the carb was
cleaned it was back to normal. You say you see the
governor working up and down so you must have the
slanted cover with the vent tube open. If so when
it is running grab the linkage and hold it still, if the
engine still surges your problem is in the carb, if that
stops the surging the problem is in the governor.
It does it at higher rpms when you put a load on it the problem stops. Thanks for your help

Hello, I should give you a proper welcome to YT! Just to be clear number 4 in the attached diagram is
the cover and tube I am talking about. Just a suggestion and you can obviously do what you want but I would say post a subject in only one specific topic section, I see you posted this in Tractor Talk as well. It may be fine for this topic. It is just sometimes more complex subjects get revisited later and then if others want to go back to review the subject they need to view it in 2 different places. I do not know if you use other forums, but the response here is a bit slower than most so you just need to be patient. We are not Google and will not give you and immediate response.
CNHI Farmall 400 parts diagram

(quoted from post at 11:18:29 07/31/22) Hello, I should give you a proper welcome to YT! Just to be clear number 4 in the attached diagram is
the cover and tube I am talking about. Just a suggestion and you can obviously do what you want but I would say post a subject in only one specific topic section, I see you posted this in Tractor Talk as well. It may be fine for this topic. It is just sometimes more complex subjects get revisited later and then if others want to go back to review the subject they need to view it in 2 different places. I do not know if you use other forums, but the response here is a bit slower than most so you just need to be patient. We are not Google and will not give you and immediate response.
I m new to all forums and new to owning a tractor but I appreciate all the help I can get. Thanks CNHI Farmall 400 parts diagram

(quoted from post at 14:43:30 08/01/22) I think it a fuel issue like others say also , please let us know what you find out
cleaned out the fuel system and air cleaner. Inside of the governor the low idol bolt and full throttle bolt were not in adjustment. I also found a loose spark plug. It seems to be running a lot better.

Probably not it but if nothing else listed above works, on my
hs distributor there was a post holding on an advance that
broke and caused the tractor to surge. Put a new distributor
on and timed it, purrs like a kitten. From the other comments
probably fuel, but this might be a Hail Mary last check
cvphoto132061.jpg

Probably not it but if nothing else listed above works, on my
hs distributor there was a post holding on an advance that
broke and caused the tractor to surge. Put a new distributor
on and timed it, purrs like a kitten. From the other comments
probably fuel, but this might be a Hail Mary last check
cvphoto132061.jpg

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back