T0-30 Heat Shield

maxwell99

Well-known Member
my friend has a TO-30,

i think it is a TO-30 as it has the larger 600-16 front tires like my TO-35.

sometime in the past a PO took the heat shield off the tractor, the shield that covers the exhaust manifold and keeps heat from rising and boiling fuel in the tank.

Where can you buy a heat shield for a TO-30?
part # price, location,

any information on obtaining this heat shield would be appreciated as he says he can hear the fuel boiling inside the tank when he uses the old gal for any long period of time.

This can not be safe.

my TO-35 has a shield that goes over the exhaust manifold, so i may be stepping out here, but i would have expected that the TO-30 would have also had one.

Thanks for any info on the heat shield.
 
I know of no heat shield for a TO-30. There"s nothing in the parts manual for one. I"ve only had a TO-30 for 16 years, but I"ve never had an issues with boiling fuel.

A person could easily make a heat shield out of sheet metal by fastening some brackets to the tank supports and attaching the sheet metal so it stands off the tank bottom/side from 1/2" to 1" and is between the tank and the manifold.
 
Jerry is right - you are not gonna find a heat shield for the TO30, unless it is home-made. However, my TO20 and TE20 occasionally have the boiling fuel. If my memory isn"t failing me, John(UK) has previously addressed the issue and I don"t recall him saying that it was much of a safety problem back in the heyday of these machines.
 
jerry,

i have never heard the fuel boiling, only taking his word on that.

old tractor starts and runs good, so i would think the timing is right or close or it would not run so good.

maybe he is hearing something else and the fuel is not boiling, cannot believe they would have made the tractor and allowed the fuel to boil in tank, that sure would sound as if it would be dangerous.

i will inform him that there is no such thing as a heat shield between exhaust manifold and fuel tank.

anyother idea what he could be hearing?
 
There was a heat shield available for the TEA 20 Ferguson . This should not be confused with the manifold heat shield made for Kerosene / TVO burning tractors that is meant to concentrate heat in order to improve combustion . The tank heat shield that was supposed to help stop fuel evaporation / boiling in torrid climates including Australia is a rare sight . It is positioned above the valve cover and manifold and directly under the fuel tank. I do not have the part no. but it is /was a genuine Ferguson factory accessory .I have not seen one in the flesh but I do wonder if it had an asbestos component to it similar to the shield under the foot plate.
 
I"m not saying that his fuel isn"t boiling.

These new fuels are made differently than when this tractor was designed. They are blends of various hydrocarbons with different boiling points for different components of the fuel mixture. May his fuels have a high concentration of low boiling point components. Maybe hes using some old winte rblended gasoline that"s more volatile than summer blends.

It suppose it"s also possible he"s hearing water boiling in the radiator due to a faulty radiator cap in combination with running straight water for coolant. I really can"t say.

I live at ~3100 feet elevation and we have high temperatures here in the summer and I haven"t experienced this problem on our TO-30.
 
As has been discussed, there was no heat shield for the fule tank from the factory. Also, I do not know of any aftermarket parts.

I have had my fuel boil on my TE-20 once. The cause was a clogged radiator. The air passages were clogged with chaff etc. A water hose from the fan side knocked it out and after cleaning it up no more fuel boiling issues.

Have him check his cooling system, I bet his engine is getting too hot. Which could lead to cracking the block between the pistons.
 
The heat shield for the TE 20 series Ferguson tractor is clearly pictured on page 87 of 'Ferguson implements and accessories' by John Farnworth. I have seen a picture of one fitted to an Australian tractor on E bay . Absolutely a factory supplied Ferguson accessory and not anything home made or after market
a75271.jpg
 
I ran a TO30 back in the 60"s from dusk to dark. Only time it was shut down was to refuel. My Dad would continue plowing while I had lunch. The gas would boil loud enough to be heard and when you took the cap off you could also see it bubbling till it cooled somewhat. The water temp stayed within range. We thought that was another normal thing for the little grey to do. My brother has the old Fergy now and still uses it regularly.
 
You can make one if you can't find one, as long as there is a space between the Tank and the Shield and the manifold and the Shield, it will be fine...John(UK)
 
Thanks for all your replys,

I copied them and took them over to him.

Guess he can make a heat deflector, if he wants or recheck his timing and carb settings.

otherwise, guess he will just have to listen to the gas boiling in his fuel tank.

again, thanks for in the information.

but me, gas boiling in the tank, still sounds a little dangerous to me. Glad my old TO-35 has the heat shield over the exhaust manifold.
 

Heat Shield:Why is it so important to have a heat shield on an engine running TVO?Nick Laurie
Tim Sutton: You don’t need one if you run on petrol only. If you run on TVO, you need to keep the heat of the inlet manifold high to vaporise the TVO mixture so it will burn in the cylinder.
Ian Collins (FoFH's Greater Manchester Co-Ordinator): the reason they were fitted was to ''spread' the heat around the TVO tank. so that the fuel was warm when it went into the carb, then the engine.
John: To burn TVO successfully without diluting the oil you need to have as much heat as possible and the manifold heatshield simply stops cooling of the manifold by the atmosphere: it won't run succesfully without one because it won't stay hot enough to vaporise the TVO. Buy a SH one from Patrick Smith at Fergiland www.fergiland.co.uk
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top