T0-35 need help with front weight

Blanx

I have a 1957 T0-35. When I have anything on the back that isn't dragging the ground the front end is light and steering becomes hard.

I need to add front weight but I have a brush guard on it.

I need ideas on how to add a bracket and front suitcase weights.

Im thinking of buying a bracket and bolting it to the brush guard.

attached is the tractor and an idea of the style of basket im thinking about.

Any better ideas would be great
mvphoto17626.jpg

mvphoto17627.jpg

Massey made weights that would bolt to the inside of the front wheels. You might try some tractor salvage yards, MF dealers, or ask if anyone
who post on the forum has any you can obtain.

Long time ago one of my customers that had a 8-n needed extra weight. He had the same front
grill guard bumper , I built two pockets out of heavy angle and flat steel just big enough
to hold two suit case weights each and welded them on either side of the center hitch. I
have to believe that four 100 lb weights would be enough for you also.

sadly it was before digital cameras and I have no photos to post.

I agree with the others that said wheel weights are best.

No doubt you can bolt a weight bracket to your bumper. But it's gonna stick way the heck out in front of the tractor. And if you put much weight on it I think it would bend the bumper.

(quoted from post at 15:52:19 06/02/18) Thanks you for all of the responses. So no
one thinks I can bolt the box to the
bumper?

I wouldn't, wheel weights, or weight bracket that bolts to the front axle support would be the way to go. I wouldn't put weight that far out on the brush guard, the brush guard isn't that strong, and the fact it bolts to the axle the weights that far out would put a lot more force on the front axle pivot. The front axle pivot isn't that good to begin with.

This weight bracket bolts to the bottom of the front axle support.
http://www.yesterdaystractors.com/Massey-Ferguson-35_Front-Bumper-Weight-Bracket_S42745.html

interesting, what are you picking up that makes the front end so light?

I have had a TO35 for 50+ years and it still drives fine,
yes, once I bought a 6ft tufline HD disk that was too heavy for the tractor, it did as you said, when I picked it up, the front end danced, so I quickly sold the disk.

but normal implements, no problem, double disc plow, 6 ft med duty disk, 5 ft bushhog, etc.

If you add all that extra weight and you do not have power steering it's going to be hard to steer,
guess you could find an old front end loader for a TO that would give you some extra weight.

**when was the last time you check the condition of your axle bushing**

they wear and can get into the axle itself, in my humble opinion these little tractors do not need a lot of extra weight on that front axle bearing.
I have seen tractors that the axle broke, not a pretty site as the motor when to the ground and crushed the radiator and front end, oil pan, etc:
a269364.jpg

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back