Tachometer not turning smoothly

lambdacore

New User
Hey there.

I just very recently bought an Oliver Super 55, it's my first tractor and let's say I have a lot to learn.

I am having issues with my tachometer.
When I got it, it just wasn't working, the needle wouldn't move when the tractor was running.

I removed the tachometer from the tractor to have a look at it.
It seems the little brass part that turns and into which the cable goes is a little difficult to turn. Well actually it was kind of stuck at first, couldn't get it to turn with my fingers, I put some grease and forced it gently to turn with pliers and now it's turning.

But let's say on a single revolution of that part, there's a place where it's more difficult to turn. So what happens when I plug the cable back in is the needle jumps up and down constantly unless I turn up the throttle to around 1600 RPM, which seems is fast enough to make the tachometer run smoothly. Any speed below that, the needle just jumps and is useless.

Is there anything I can do?
Like put a whole lot of grease and let it turn for a while?
Should I order a new tachometer assembly?

I tried to disassemble the tachometer more to check the parts inside but I could not easily remove the glass cover part so I did not force anything, scared of breaking things right now.

I join a picture of the tachometer's brass-like part I'm talking about and also of the cable end that goes into the tachometer.

Thanks a lot.

(Right so I'm having some issues here making my post, seems there's a word or something that is not acceptable and is getting my post filtered, I'm just gonna mess around with my post until it's posted. Can't seem to find the issue, gonna try without the pictures.)

I have turned the tach drive with a drill. Use penetrating oil liberally on the drive. Make sure the cable is lubed with something light, not greasy.
You are not out much to try this.

The penetrating oil did help, I can now to down to around 800 RPM before it starts jumping around, higher than that it's pretty stable and usable.

I sprayed penetrating oil in and around the mechanism, lubricated the cable and the tachometer with some 3 in 1 oil and let it run for a while.

Thanks for the tip!

I might order a tachometer on my first parts order anyway, just in case.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back