Tank leaking on 30+ year old air compressor

Steve in IL

I have a 30+ year old Campbell Hausfeld compressor that now has a slow air leak in the tank (lower weld seam, where water might have collected over the years). It's one of those "old fashion" belt drive, cast iron 3hp, 20 gallon tank, portable units. At the time, it was the largest capacity that could still plug into 120volt. 6.5CFM at 90PSI. Hate to get rid of it.

What does everyone think? Repair tank? (uncertain if anyone wants to repair 30 year old air tanks). Replace tank (30gal vertical tanks are available at Surplus Center for $200.) Or just upgrade to a modern oil-less design (like California Air Tools ultra quiet, not much more than above new tank).

Your thoughts? Thanks, Steve

Never repair a tank unless your wife has lots of life insurance on you. Replace the tank or buy another compressor is just a money decision. I scraped a good tank last summer,check CL.

I had a pretty new compressor one time that was leaking on a seam at the top. I didn't worry about welding that one but any since then I've replaced the tank. It's just too risky to repair one that may be rusting through. The leak is a warning the tank is about to fail. A compressor can explode when the tank fails. I saw a vertical compressor that someone had been repairing. When it exploded it took off like a rocket and went through the metal roof of the garage and landed outside the building.

There should be plenty of tanks around with the falling quality of the new compressors.

Just a matter of finding one. Might try Craigs List.

Used Helium tanks from Balloon sellers work well, Propane tanks are also usable with preparation, and a tank sealer. Combining 2 or three can work. I would mount them upside down with a water separator so there is no standing water in the new tank. If yo pressure check it, do it filled with water because if it splits nothing explodes. I had a boiler inspector tell me how to do a static pressure check. Jim

If there's a leak, it's probably because the inside of the tank has rusted away leaving the wall very thin. Even if you did decide to try to weld it, you'll probably find that you'll blow thru the tank with the welding technique, as it'll be paper thin in that area anyway.

Get rid of that potential bomb. Find another tank, or new compressor.

Also, drain the condensate regularly (like weekly if you use it frequently). Especially if the air is humid where you live.

This subject has been discussed many times. There's only one answer when it comes to repairing a leaking air compressor tank: DON'T.

If you like your compressor enough to justify replacing the tank, do so. But a 20 year old C-H compressor is probably close to the end of its useful life. I suggest you upgrade to a 240 volt compressor; you can never have too much air in your shop. Then buy a cheap pancake compressor for those times when you need portability.

If there's a leak caused by water and rust that started inside I would NOT make any attempt to repair it. If the compressor is fine and satisfactory its not all that expensive to replace the tank, but if you simply want to upgrade hey its your money go for it.

John T

Mark,
Why not?
My tank developed a pin hole leak 30 years ago. I used epoxy and a screw..

The tank is about 60 year's old. I'm 71 and still not dead yet.

Most leaks are at the bottom of the tank. If the screw were to blow out it will hit the floor.

At my age going to the grocery store is more dangerous than a screw in a air tank.

Live on the wild side.
George

Replace the tank or complete unit. I replaced the tank on a small compressor by using one from a semi trailer. These not very expensive NEW if they are big enough. I guess you could connect a couple together. A few years back I had a chance to buy a few of the upright oil less compressors from local Rural King cheap. The tanks were still good but the compressors were junk. They got returned for warranty. I finally talked myself into buying one in case I needed it later , but they were all gone.

If you are able to get a used propane tank they work great. The place I retired from switched to aluminum fork truck tanks many years ago so I was able to get some steel ones. They are only about 10 gallons though. Perfectly safe to weld on after properly purged.
cvphoto10595.jpg

My garage compressor tank rusted through, couldn't find a replacement so I retro fitted a oiless comp. tank. Figured none of them lasted long enough to rust out.
cvphoto10596.jpg

Older oil-less compressors were really noisy. Some people buy a used oil-less compressor cheap for the tank and mount their older pump on the better tank.

You air compressor tank probably has an ASME pressure vessel certification tag on it somewhere.

I had the same thing on mine. Old Century brand, pump still good but the tank started to leak at the bottom. I found new receivers cost more than a whole new compressor. Got a Jobsmart from TSC on sale five years ago for around $100. Cheapest new tank I could find was $140. It's working good and I've used it for hours at times on the glass bead cabinet running almost continuously. Still hoping o stumble on another receiver for the old one so I don't have to lug it around.

Replace -- it is a risky welding job and dangerous. Plus you will never chase down the pinholes unless you weld new metal on top - also bad practice.

This comes up every once in a while and I have noticed there's a general opinion towards replacement over repair and for good reason. Leak is in a rusty spot and it's the area that is currently the thinnest point. Welding it is possible and will get you by for a while but it's only a matter of time before it fails again. Failure could be a rupture and you don't want that.

Honestly getting 30 years out of the tank is pretty good I think. A good used one may be a solution or bite the bullet and go new. Surplus Center always comes to mind first and you might want to check Ebay.

If you can get a new compressor for about the same money that's a pretty compelling argument to do so.

Let us know what you decide.

Stay safe

those new california oil-less compressors seem to be a good thing. i got one a couple years ago and have been real happy. quiet as a mouse!

Run that California oil-less before you buy it. Local store here will plug one in so maybe yours will too. Pretty loud, as you would expect.

Back in about '61 I was given an old refrigerator piston type compressor, which I used for an air compressor.
So I bought a portable air tank, they come with a safety pop off valve. I hooked it to the compressor with a snap coupler on the hose.
You can still get those air tanks.

As others have stated below,Replace it or take it out of service.I seen first hand what happens when a tank let's loose.Lucky I wasn't right next to it.Made a very big mess.

> At my age going to the grocery store is more dangerous than a screw in a air tank.

Yet another Death Machine, George?

You really have no way of know where and how your tank will fail. It could just pop out your questionable repair screw. Or it could fail catastrophically and launch through the roof of your beautiful new shop.

Here's the deal: Maybe you're ready to pass over to the happy hunting grounds, so you're not worried about that ticking time bomb in your shop. But that tank won't be selective if (when) it blows, and it could kill or maim anybody in the vicinity. Which might be somebody you care about.

I got a couple of breathing air tanks, they have to be disposed of after so many years, they are nice little tanks, but only 1-2 gallons, depending on size. Work good for a short term pressure tank for a small water pump, 3/4 NPT threads.

PITCH IT, then just go get you new complete unit, they are not that high price anymore , oil less design had small unit once, okay for seldom used task but not much else and loud at least one I had

Mark,
Once again you assumed I'm moving the 60 year old air compressor to new pole barn. Wrong again. It staying in the old workshop and will be retired there.
Good chance I'll be buying a new Dewalt compressor once I get the new electrical service installed.
At my age if I don't spend it my kids will just fight over it.
geo.

My Uncle was terrible taking care of ANYTHING. His cars & trucks looked like escape's from the junk yard, didn't have much for tools or the know-how of what to do with them. But his wife nagged him long enough they built a new ranch style house with full basement and a garage that led right into their living room.
Not sure of the details, but his 20 gallon portable air compressor that was sitting in the corner of his attached garage, against the common interior wall with the living room, and the exterior wall of the garage, but the tank EXPLODED. Turned itself inside-out. No, He Never drained the tank. He didn't know you should. Damage to the house cost $15,000 to repair, interior and exterior walls blown off foundations, windows blown out. The motor and pump Dad hooked up to a 40-50 gallon compressor tank for Me. I didn't use it much. Took about an hour to get to 90 psi.

ANYHOW, think long and hard about if and how you fix this compressor. I can still see that compressor tank turned inside-out. I'd throw all the old compressor stuff away and buy new, and make sure the tank is ASME certified. I never felt the need to spend the extra the ASME tank cost till I worked at a plant that was ASME certified. IT'S WORTH IT.

I'd be willing to bet FAR more tanks on consumer-grade compressors have been "turned inside out" by a stuck pressure switch along with a missing/damaged/stuck/mud dauber-clogged relief valve than by rust.

FUNNY, all the fuss about RUST and no one ever talks about replacing an old pressure switch or checking/replacing the safety valve!

Just today there's a thread on here about welded pressure switch contacts.

https://forums.yesterdaystractors.com/viewtopic.php?t=1426213

> Once again you assumed I'm moving the 60 year old air compressor to new pole barn. Wrong again. It staying in the old workshop and will be retired there. Good chance I'll be buying a new Dewalt compressor once I get the new electrical service installed.

Well, that's good to hear George. But that old compressor is still a ticking time bomb. After you depart this vale of tears, there's a good chance someone might end up with your old compressor/death machine who doesn't know it was patched years ago. If it was mine I'd send it to the scrap yard, which is what I did with my compressor when it sprung a leak.

I still use a couple of very old breathing oxygen tanks from a B-24 Liberator for air.....do you think those aluminum tanks are a risk?

I picked up a clean little air compressor at an auction this spring. Turned out to have a pinhole leak at the bottom.

Just for giggles I tried to weld it. No intention of using it, just for science. Even on the lowest setting trying to lay a tack with my mig welder, it just blew through. Time I was done I had a 2" diameter hole blown in the bottom of the tank.

If one area is thin, there are others.

Those old campbell hausfeld compressors you could probably repair the mechanics of them forever. I had one that I used in my business which I repaired over and over since the 1980's. It just got to the point where it was breaking down too often so I repaired it and gave it to my son. You could probably purchase the same model compressor off ebay or craigslist for the tank and use the rest of it for parts. With mine, the tank and motor were fine but the pump was giving me problems.

The new campbell hausfeld compressors don't near measure up to the old ones. I bought one and every time I drain the tank there is a river of rust that comes out of it. I know they didn't coat the inside of the tank with anything. I guess the idea is by the time the tank rust through the warranty will be out.

A neighbor had every window blown out of his shop, the walk in door blown open and most of the tools blown off the wall when a small 3 hp compressor blew up. Lucky for them no one was around when it happened. Another person I know had a hole blown in his garage wall when a small compressor let go. Your tank is weak and always will be no matter how many patches you put on it. Why take the chance of getting permanently hurt or permanently dead?

Steve, I have an older Craftsman air compressor that finally quit pumping air.
Can't get the drain valve to open. I would give it to you free, but got to thinking it is getting about ready to explode. So you CAN'T have it.
Did a lot of research for a replacement compressor. Ended up getting a McGraw 8 gallon which is very portable. Still wanted a bigger compressor, considered getting one from Home Depot, Husky brand. Too many bad reviews on the 21 gallon.
Ended up with a 21 gallon McGraw. 175 psi. $243.99, had a coupon for $24 off. 80 decibel. They had a video on it. Porter Cable is 90 decibel and 125 psi.
Hope this helps. DOUG

(quoted from post at 11:17:13 04/08/20) Steve, I have an older Craftsman air compressor that finally quit pumping air.
Can't get the drain valve to open. I would give it to you free, but got to thinking it is getting about ready to explode. So you CAN'T have it.
Did a lot of research for a replacement compressor. Ended up getting a McGraw 8 gallon which is very portable. Still wanted a bigger compressor, considered getting one from Home Depot, Husky brand. Too many bad reviews on the 21 gallon.
Ended up with a 21 gallon McGraw. 175 psi. $243.99, had a coupon for $24 off. 80 decibel. They had a video on it. Porter Cable is 90 decibel and 125 psi.
Hope this helps. DOUG
hey just don't build things to last any more! I still have my grandpa's 1927 working air compressor, original everything , including tank. Curtis unit.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back