technology OT

Anonymous-0

Well-known Member
I just read an article on yahoo news telling of authorities finding many different pharmecutical drugs in over 41 million americans drinking water. If this is correct, it only further reinforces my theory that technology is gonna be the end of mankind or possibly the earth. I wish there was some way to run a campaign maybe suggesting that everyone take it back about 200 years or so and let our poor planet recover for a bit instead of trying to kill it or us so quickly. This all ties into the big picture with the o-zone depletion, sucking oil out of the earth causing earthquakes and tsunamis, etc. Thanks for listening.
 
Didnt the article say all about global warming or did they forget about that subject. By the way did you hear the latest temp report from all the worlds stations reporting such data that we have cooled down in the last year. 200yrs ago on this spot nothing happened as no one remembered to rite it down or was that because nobody was here.
 
Technology, plural for technique, is indifferent. Problems arise from the teritorial instincts of currency and ownership at the expense of everything and everyone else.
 
He is one of the citidots that moved to the country, and now wants to change everything and everybody into accepting the enlightened yuppie way of thinking.
To his way of thinking, rural Americans are uneducated, backwoods twits, who do not know what is best for them, and NEED to disabused of their quaint ways of thinking.
Undoubtedly, his one organic tomato plant qualifies his desire to be a farmer.
 
There's both good and bad about technology. Go back 200 yrs? No way: No penicillin, no anesthetic. People dying from smallpox, flu, cholera, childbirth, unsanitary conditions everywhere. No MRI's, Cat scans, blood tests. "Sawbones" just gives you some whiskey and a bullet to bite on. C'mon, get real. You'd be lucky to live to be 40. The planet will be just fine. All this bull about global warming is just that. Take a look at the long-term climate, not just the last 100 yrs. Sure, the stuff we do as humans affects our environment, to some degree. But the earth will go into an ice age or whatever regardless of what we do, IF the global conditions dictate it. There is a great documentary playing on either the History or Discovery channel that describes the evolution of the earth and life on it. Take a look. It puts everything in perspective.

Also, species extinction is the natural order of things (survival of the fittest). I read somewhere that thousands of species of ALL kinds or organisms become extinct every day.

So, climb down out of your tree and try and be a responsible citizen from an environmental standpoint but WITHOUT all the "sky is falling" stuff.
 
"it only further reinforces my theory that technology is gonna be the end of mankind or possibly the earth. I wish there was some way to run a campaign maybe suggesting that everyone take it back about 200 years or so"

eli,
you espoused a theory and your proposed solution (go back 200 yrears). I responded with some facts that I believe would negate your proposed solution as being a "good" thing. Maybe the others were a little more cynical than I was, but I can't believe that you expected everyone to just agree with you.
 
Eli;
You are trying to influence the opinion of a group, who as a whole have more information and understanding of our environment than any group anywhere. Folks here look at, and interpret, the issue based on facts and personal experience. Please do not believe all you see in print!!!. Use your own feelings and investigate before trying to control other's feelings and opinions.... Gene
 
I was not trying to influence anyone's opinion, just wondering what other's opinions are. Telling me that you think I may be a "citiot" or the "unibomber" or "hiding in a bunker" does not tell much. I believe that in trying to make an A$$ out of me some of you have just shown your true colors. All I wanted was some actual discussion but, instead I get ridiculed? Thank you all for making me feel so very welcome. I believe in treating people respectfully unless I actually have a reason not to.
 
Thank you for letting everybody know all the info you have on me. However, you are wrong. I lived in the country most of my life and moved to the city less than two years ago. If you look at what is going on in our country you may notice that we as americans do make mistakes and don't do everything right. I have no organic tomato plants. You are a LIAR, you know very LITTLE about me.
 
Ok, I was wrong. You may not be a jerk. How about nukes. Are they good for the world. I think with all the losses going back 200 or so years would cause, it would be worth it just to get rid of nukes.
 
Tractor & machinery topics get a lot of nice discussion around here.

OT threads kinda tick folks off, so you end up swimming all alone when you start off that way. In short, you just invited folks to make fun of you.

Woulda been better to start off with a tractor topic.

Most of us live out in the country, or can remember it yet. We are tired of 'city folk' knowing all the answers and telling us how to live. Their ideas are foolish & uninformed.

Your topic very closely follows this - silly idea, far fetched, telling others how to live....

Technoligy has nothing to do with anything. 200 years ago they had technology - all types of weapons.

The problem - if their is one - is human nature.

You are barking up the wrong tree. It's not the tools we use, it's us.

Technology lets us live longer, not shorter. Our life spans are much longer than they were 200 years ago.

Without our tools, about 50% of us need to die - we couldn't produce enough food without our tools.

Chemicals in the water - seems a lot of that comes through the toilet. We are medicating ourselves a whole lot, leagally & otherwsie. Lot of that passes right through. Maybe if people took more responsibility, we would have less of that. Maybe if we had less leaky municiple sewage plants, and more proper septic systems, there would be less of that.

I love our technology. That is the good thing. I believe your idea is impossible, & very short sighted. You would be throwing away all that is good, and creating a much, much bigger problem which will bring out even worse in people, making life about impossible. I think you would destroy life on earth.

It is people who are irrisponsible, selfish, or need to tell others what to do that are the problem. I don't believe in genocide, so there is little to do but try to live a good life yourself, and hope there are more like me.

Technology - bring it on!!!!

(Of course, as much as I like technology, I prefer 1970's or older tractors, with less things to go wrong.....)

--->Paul
 
eli,
are nukes good for the world? To paraphrase: "nukes don't kill people, people kill people". Scariest thing about nukes is that we're getting closer to where "irresponsible" people (translate: terrorists) have their hands on them. The terrorists have shown a penchant for killing Westerners (or anyone who disagrees with them) for no particular reason, except to spread terror. Think what they would do if they had a nuke. Even during the Cold War, the Russians acted as a government with a responsibility as a superpower and did things for strategic reasons. They had some sort of moral code. They knew that if they fired a nuke, they'd get ten back at them. The terrorists don't think that way. If they didn't have their terror campaign, their worthless lives would have no purpose.

Also, nukes are just a form of WMD (weapon of mass destruction). The terrorists will use ricin, bio-weapons, airplanes, etc. as WMDs. And they are not worried about nuclear reataliation. They're all looking forward to their entry into the next world anyway. So, in my opinion, getting rid of nukes would have no affect (positive or negative) on the current global threat to the civilized world: terrorism.
 
What I fail to grasp is why you would bring a controversial subject like that up on a tractor forum. Being a tractor guys, we LIKE things that burn gas, make pollution and accomplish work. I suspect that more of us than not have other interests that consume energy as well. Backing up 200 years eliminates the very reason this board exists. How in the world could you expect to find a group of people with these common interests to be of a like mind with you? Did it occur to you that this on average is an older group and a substantail portion of us wouldnt be here today if it werent for modern medical technology? That being said, you are also dealing with a group of people that care deeply about the welfare of this earth as well. The only difference is that as a rule, they arent pushing their views on others. Go back and re-read your post and you should be able to see how it ruffled some feathers. It was clear to most everyone that you clearly had an axe to grind and an agenda to push. I would use the analogy that it was like trying to sell atheism at the Lutheran church.
 
Go back 200 years so the planet can recover. 200 years ago was the start of a industrial revolution and there were NO anti-pollution laws or regards for the evironment then. The seed for a lot of our pollution problems was planted back then.

I could go on and on about your post, but iam not.

For Your Information, your one of those people that need to keep your lame ideas to yourself.
 
Just me thinking out loud when I shouldnt but I'm sort of partial to technology. Given that I had no say so in when I was born I'll choose the here and now. Let see, of the technology I most appreciate thats come about in the last 200 years (in no particular order).... toilet paper, smokeless powder, transportation not depending on me riding a horse or staring at its behind, deoderant, modern medicine which not only saved my leg and life but lets me walk almost normally after a near leg amputation, tractors, electricity, and of course this computer and the internet which makes this conversation possible.

I certainly do try to conserve resources, and lay claim to being one of those much maligned soical liberals but I have no interest in going back to outdoor toilets, running out to the spring to get water, bathing once a week, and riding a horse to town once a week.
 
I don't see the concentrations getting any better in the future, but, they're currently measured not in parts per million, not in parts per billion, but in parts per trillion. NYC says it would take one million glasses of water to contain as much of the particular pharmecutical involved as would be found in one pill containing that substance.
 
Nuclear energy is the power of the future. We should be producing most of our electric power with it now, as does France. We will have to in the near future.
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top