telescoping pto drive shaft stuck

Anonymous-0

Well-known Member
I inhearted a tractor, and a brush hog, just got the tractor all fixed up, went to hookup the brush hog, and the drive shaft wont telescope.

I'm sure this is a common thing with implements sitting outside a lot. Just wanted to know if there was any tricks to get it u nstuck easily.

I tried hitting it with a big hammer, still stuck..

I don't know if there is something i can do with a hydraulic jack and force it to move?? or if anyone has an easy way of doing this other then just spraying it down.

It dosn't seem that rusted, but there was old grease around where it should telescope.
 
Just spray some pb blaster down inbetween the 2, lift it up so it runs downward into there. Beat on it with a small sledge on the outside of it and tap on the part that should slide out. If by chance it doesnt work, heat it a little, even with a propane torch it should work, if it has not set for a long long time and is froze solid with rust.
 
I bought an old manure speader that was that way.

I just hooked a come-along between the axle of the tractor and the outer u-joint, gave 'er a tug and it popped loose.

Allan
 
Spray it down, put a strap on the end of the shaft at the yoke and strap it to the tracror's drawbar. A few yanks and she'll come free. Just clean it up and grease the heck out of the shaft before you slide the shaft halfs back together
Mike
 
Donovan;

Last one I had like that had a twisted tailshaft. Had to scure the back end and turn the front (female) end with a 24 inch adjustable wrench Straightened it enough for it to work freely... Gene
 
I don't like pulling on them if they're still attatched to the gear box. The only ones that seem to give us any troubles are the ones on the silo blowers.

I take them off, which is just a bolt on the end of the shaft and removing the shear bolt(s). Then we'll use 2 straps or chains between 2 tractors, or a tractor and something else that won't move. Give it a slow steady pull and it'll come apart.

I had one that was stuck this year that I just soaked with PB Blaster for a couple minutes, taped on it with a hammer and then it pulled rihgt apart. That was on a blower that sat in the weeds for probably 3 years with a bad band. I fixed it this year and put it back to work.

Donovan from Wisconsin
 
I use a mixture of used motor oil and Diesel fuel about 75% oil & 25% diesel fuel . let set a couple days & then try to pull apart . the last time I had to fastin ot back of utility trailer & use winch on trailer Two blocking it, put load on then pounded on it with hammer to get loose . only to find out that shaft was twisted .
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top