Testing my cheap ohmmeter

Time to stir the pot, George?
Is that a one percent resistor? If so, then you can't prove the meter is accurate to one percent. Back in the day when I worked with automated test equipment, we always used a minimum 3:1 accuracy ratio between the measurement we were making and the instruments and/or standards we were using to make the measurement. So in your case, I would want the resistor to be accurate to at least 0.3 percent.
That is a Thomas type standard resistor. It was used in primary metrology labs as a first tier transfer standard. At 23C or 73F plus or minus 2Deg it would have been accurate to about 0.05% when new. Most field transfer standards maintain a 10:1 accuracy ratio. That is the standard is 10 times more accurate than the test device. Sometimes only 4:1 is possible depending on the type of standard.

I worked in metrology on and off for 45 years. I graduated as a 35H40 army calibration technician back in 1974. I was always fascinated with the art and science of accurate measurements. The accuracy of today's modern multimeters amazes me, and the A to D successive approximation ASICs being made are a wonder of technology. The only thing missing for ohms measurements is the old zeroing reference adjustment to accomodate the meter leads. We would touch the leads together, and then turn the adjustment on the lowest scale(usually 10 ohms) to perfect zero on the scale. Not possible with the new digital units.

FWIW I
Mark.
You know I'm cheap, This meter is under $40.
No way I'll spend big bucks on a 4 wire ohmmeter.
The average guy on YT may use an ohmmeter to measure a ballast resistor.
Think about this, is the accuracy of the meter that critical when shopping for a ballast resistor?
I say NO, because all you need to know is the ballast resistor has the same resistance as the coil?
Lets say your meter is off my one ohm. Your meter says your coil resistance is 5 ohms when it's 4 ohms.
Does it matter? NO. As long as your new ballast shows 5 ohms the same as your coil.

Bottom line, How important is the accuracy of any ohmmeter when working on a 75 year old tractor?
FWIW I agree with and support your choice to use a cheap ohm meter be it HF or any other. As you and I have both indicated extreme accuracy IS NOT NEEDED for most old tractor testing and troubleshooting. While sure a more expensive Fluke may well be ????? more accurate at low resistance values ITS NOT NEEDED for the kind of work you spoke of. A cheap HF meter is accurate enough for most old tractor electrical troubleshooting especially where low resistance accuracy isn't critical yayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

Keep on keepin on

John T

Last edited:
FWIW I

FWIW I agree with and support your choice to use a cheap ohm meter be it HF or any other. As you and I have both indicated extreme accuracy IS NOT NEEDED for most old tractor testing and troubleshooting. While sure a more expensive Fluke may well be ????? more accurate at low resistance values ITS NOT NEEDED for the kind of work you spoke of. A cheap HF meter is accurate enough for most old tractor electrical troubleshooting especially where low resistance accuracy isn't critical yayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

Keep on keepin on

John T
Or, just cut to the chase and measure coil current that you are trying to obtain. Idea!!!!!! :)

Or, just cut to the chase and measure coil current that you are trying to obtain. Idea!!!!!! :)
Jessie'
I do measure the current, I shoot for 4 amps.
More important is the voltage used by the ballast needs to be equal to the voltage used by the coil, 6 volts.
I wanted to have a spare 6v coil and ballast for my boy. He wants my old Jubilee.
I couldn't buy a ballast to match the old coil.
I found an old ballast I used on my 78 aspen station wagon. 1.26 ohms was perfect.
20221229_151636.jpg

Jessie'
I do measure the current, I shoot for 4 amps.
More important is the voltage used by the ballast needs to be equal to the voltage used by the coil, 6 volts.
I wanted to have a spare 6v coil and ballast for my boy. He wants my old Jubilee.
I couldn't buy a ballast to match the old coil.
I found an old ballast I used on my 78 aspen station wagon. 1.26 ohms was perfect.View attachment 5427
"More important is the voltage used by the ballast needs to be equal to the voltage used by the coil, 6 volts." I can absolutely guarantee you that the Ford 8N ballast & coil voltages are not equal...... One size does not fit all.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back