The Best JD 2-Cylinder Tractor For My Needs?

probably the A as you can by them cheap and will do what u want with it. and its as simple as they come. actually the AR is a better choice, way easier to get on and off and its the standard version. they are pretty good little tractor.
A late AR has live hydraulics

What is the best JD 2 cylinder that would be suitable for pulling a hay rake, tedder, hustling a few hay wagons and good tractor for a plow day outing?

Needs to fit on a car hauler.

Not looking for a rare collector tractor or even a rare tractor - just something in JD colors that is 2 cylinder, does not have a history of being plagued with issues - a simple tractor for my farm fleet.

Any recommendations?

Thanks!
Does it have to be a 2-cylinder? Deere/Yanmar also has 3-cylinders in SCUT and small MCUT frame size.

JD650 comes to mind for all your needs. 2-clyinder diesel. 4WD. It can pull the hay rake and tedder, better yet, it can even operate them with no troubles at all.

1705116635766.png

Why I wouldn't want the 2-clylinder is, they go SLOW and are LOUD over their 3-cylinder counter part siblings.

The JD750 is really what you need.

It can belly mow and it can do so much more than the JD650. It's 3-cylinder and 4WD too. It will run much quieter and oddly is better on fuel. It can even go twice as fast. And with the Yanmar 3T80 engine, it can operate a small square baler. Yes, it will fit on a car hauler.

1705116912621.png

The JD750 is a bit smaller than my YM2610/JD850. And it fits on a nice tiny trailer.

DSCF0783sm.jpg

What is the best JD 2 cylinder that would be suitable for pulling a hay rake, tedder, hustling a few hay wagons and good tractor for a plow day outing?

Not looking for a rare collector tractor or even a rare tractor - just something in JD colors that is 2 cylinder, does not have a history of being plagued with issues - a simple tractor for my farm fleet.

Any recommendations?

Thanks!

50 60 70 are the first “modern” two bangers. A couple grand can get you a pretty good one. Rack and pinion adjustable rear wheels, power steering, live PTO and hydraulics. They only lacked a factory 3 point hitch. If you want that, you will need to go up to the 520 620 720, which will also offer the float-ride seat. Now, they aren’t great seats, but they do beat the plywood and foam pad seat of the 50 60 70 by a bit, IF they aren’t in need of a rebuild, then they’re quite a bit worse.

The biggest strike against the two cylinders is the rear mount and dismount for the operator. That’s where the turny grabby maimy killy thing is and where the operator should definitely NOT be. I know millions of operators have got on and off the back of a tractor thousands of times without being grabbed, but several haven’t. It’s a one and done thing. I added a front mount step in my 60. I also added flat top fenders.

I haven’t used my 60 in a couple years. It’s just a toy these days. I was going to go rake with it awhile back. Hooked it up to my Krone 42t rake, and it couldn’t even lift the rake back up. I acquired my grandpas 3010 diesel, then bought a second one. They are my go-to toys now. Better power steering, better seat, better 3pt hitch, better shifting, easier backing, better operator safety. The last one is most important to me as I have a couple teenagers now running my stuff.

Does it have to be a 2-cylinder? Deere/Yanmar also has 3-cylinders in SCUT and small MCUT frame size.

JD650 comes to mind for all your needs. 2-clyinder diesel. 4WD. It can pull the hay rake and tedder, better yet, it can even operate them with no troubles at all.

View attachment 2123

Why I wouldn't want the 2-clylinder is, they go SLOW and are LOUD over their 3-cylinder counter part siblings.

The JD750 is really what you need.

It can belly mow and it can do so much more than the JD650. It's 3-cylinder and 4WD too. It will run much quieter and oddly is better on fuel. It can even go twice as fast. And with the Yanmar 3T80 engine, it can operate a small square baler. Yes, it will fit on a car hauler.

View attachment 2125

The JD750 is a bit smaller than my YM2610/JD850. And it fits on a nice tiny trailer.

View attachment 2126
The same reason to ride a Harley or Truimph instead of a Honda .

50 60 70 are the first “modern” two bangers. A couple grand can get you a pretty good one. Rack and pinion adjustable rear wheels, power steering, live PTO and hydraulics. They only lacked a factory 3 point hitch. If you want that, you will need to go up to the 520 620 720, which will also offer the float-ride seat. Now, they aren’t great seats, but they do beat the plywood and foam pad seat of the 50 60 70 by a bit, IF they aren’t in need of a rebuild, then they’re quite a bit worse.

The biggest strike against the two cylinders is the rear mount and dismount for the operator. That’s where the turny grabby maimy killy thing is and where the operator should definitely NOT be. I know millions of operators have got on and off the back of a tractor thousands of times without being grabbed, but several haven’t. It’s a one and done thing. I added a front mount step in my 60. I also added flat top fenders.

I haven’t used my 60 in a couple years. It’s just a toy these days. I was going to go rake with it awhile back. Hooked it up to my Krone 42t rake, and it couldn’t even lift the rake back up. I acquired my grandpas 3010 diesel, then bought a second one. They are my go-to toys now. Better power steering, better seat, better 3pt hitch, better shifting, easier backing, better operator safety. The last one is most important to me as I have a couple teenagers now running my stuff.
For those slobs that do not run shielded PTO shafts and covers . Nobody should be surprised .

Maybe 5 years ago you could buy a pretty good 50 or 60 for around 2,000 dollars but not anymore. I went to an auction back in August locally and the two 50's in that sale went for around 2,900 dollars each. No recent mechanical work, no recent new paint, and no fancy Firestone tires. Good tractors but still some unknowns with each of them. Good 70's brought 3,000 dollars several years ago and I would imagine today that they are closer to 4,000 dollars.

Have you seen what a good 30 series commands? There’s a 50 on marketplace 20 miles away that they are asking 1200 bucks but no power steering. They are out there just have to be patient and for the most part avoid auctions.

Have you seen what a good 30 series commands? There’s a 50 on marketplace 20 miles away that they are asking 1200 bucks but no power steering. They are out there just have to be patient and for the most part avoid auctions.
I've been wanting a 630 for decades and just in the last several weeks a 630 popped up 75 miles away. Torn apart and sat outside for a while with an asking price of 2,850 dollars. The listing was gone in less than 2 days. Maybe in other parts of the US you can buy reasonably but not here. By the time you pay to haul one 1,000 miles away you might as well pay the top price here. A 50 for 1,200 dollars here would be in quite poor condition.

An aftermarket 3pt on an A or B is a useful addition, but here's the thing: the OP asked about one he can get on a car hauler--I am assuming something like the common UHaul trailer. If so, then the AR or BR or descendants or the M and its descendants would be necessary.

As for not a 2 cyl? Why on Earth would anyone NOT want one?

Yeah I think your model a series a 60 620 630 is probably the biggest you would want to shoeshorn onto a car trailer. The g that just showed up was sitting on the drive over fenders to fit

I've been wanting a 630 for decades and just in the last several weeks a 630 popped up 75 miles away. Torn apart and sat outside for a while with an asking price of 2,850 dollars. The listing was gone in less than 2 days. Maybe in other parts of the US you can buy reasonably but not here. By the time you pay to haul one 1,000 miles away you might as well pay the top price here. A 50 for 1,200 dollars here would be in quite poor condition.
Yeah that 630 though jumps to 7500 to over 10000 for a fancy one. You could buy several 60s

Any recommendations?

Thanks!
Have both a 420W and a 520. Like the 520 except the ease of getting on/off, which is much easier on the 420. Going on 82 so ease of mounting is of concern. The 520 steers like a champ with power steering and seems to be pretty fuel efficient. Just spent about 3 hours a couple of days ago moving snow out of the yard with a 3-pt rear mounted blade. Might also add that the 520 will get around in snow better because of the larger rear rubber.

Any recommendations?

Thanks!
My 520 has live PTO...Remote Hydraulics,Power Steering.....:) Had a wrecked JD 3020. Rear Rims and Tires.....:)

Attachments

• DSCN0015.JPG
    DSCN0015.JPG
    2.7 MB · Views: 21
  • DSCN7945.JPG
    DSCN7945.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 16
  • DSCN4306.JPG
    DSCN4306.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 16
Truth be told, questions like this usually just set off a preference cascade where people start arguing why their preferred tractors fit the bill. But the real question we need answered, so we can help you answer yours, is what do you have in mind beyond just a JD two cylinder that can do simple chores that almost all of them are suited for?

Are you looking for something in the letter series era or later? Do you want hydraulics or does it not matter? Live PTO or not? Do you want a standard horizontal twin cylinder or does the vertical motor like what is in the M, 40, 420, 430 series of tractors seem more in line with your desires? How much are you thinking of spending?

Look, pretty much any pre New Generation JD will perform the requirements you laid out, but with varying degrees of comfort and efficiency, so can you narrow down what it is you have in mind just a little bit?

Truth be told, questions like this usually just set off a preference cascade where people start arguing why their preferred tractors fit the bill. But the real question we need answered, so we can help you answer yours, is what do you have in mind beyond just a JD two cylinder that can do simple chores that almost all of them are suited for?

Are you looking for something in the letter series era or later? Do you want hydraulics or does it not matter? Live PTO or not? Do you want a standard horizontal twin cylinder or does the vertical motor like what is in the M, 40, 420, 430 series of tractors seem more in line with your desires? How much are you thinking of spending?

Look, pretty much any pre New Generation JD will perform the requirements you laid out, but with varying degrees of comfort and efficiency, so can you narrow down what it is you have in mind just a little bit?
The OP specified hauling any tractor on a car hauler type trailer so that limits the choices. We also should not assume he will pull it with a one ton PU.

Any recommendations?

Thanks!
You are asking about which JD 2 cylinder would be best. This indicates you have thought about at least one of them already. Let us know which one(s) you are most interested in. There were a number of 2 cylinders of varying sizes with various options, leading to all these responses. Knowing the one(s) you are most interested in might narrow the responses and info.

Thanks for the replies everyone. I‘m thinking either a B or 50 might be ideal for my needs/wants. If I wanted the bells and whistles, it’s hard to beat for the hp and price the Massey Ferguson 50 diesel - which I have two.

I need to do some more reading and actually see one of these tractors.

Any inherent issues with either a late model B or 50?

Thanks for the replies!!!

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back