Thermistor on JD 4300

Stroby

Anyone changed one of these? I have looked it up on the internet and I am still not clear regarding if it plugs in or has to be soldered or if you use a connector to attach it to the fuse panel. I'm trying to decide if I want to tackle this on a really hot day or wait for a cooler one. I have already addressed the fuel shut off solenoid and there is no fuel buildup on the back side of the plunger. The tractor runs fine, but if you shut it off after using it under load for an hour or more, it won't start again until it sits for an hour or so. The distinct click is not there when you move the switch to the on position when the tractor fails to start. Thanks in advance for any input.

Looking at Several (miserable) Youtube videos it seems there are a couple of short pigtails extending from the wiring harness behind the fuse panel that the thermistor attaches to.

One video I watched showed a tiny connector body there that the thermistor simply plugged into, others show a pair of crimp ''butt splices''.

It's not clear if there was a serial number break, or if the butt connectors indicate a previous repair.

In in either case it looks like a simple project to replace the thermistor.

Some guys replace it with a momentary contact pushbutton switch that needs to be momentarily pushed after they key is switched ''ON'' and before cranking at each engine start.

Thanks Wore Out, I appreciate the input. I don't think soldering is a good idea (I know you didn't mention it,) as the heat could destroy the thermistor. I'll tear into it one day soon. Thanks again.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back