thistles in hayground

Anonymous-0

Well-known Member
I just rented some new hay ground. About 10% alfalfa, 10% clover 75% grass and 5% thistles. Mostly musk thistles and some Canadian. Right now they are just about ready to bloom. I want to go in and spot spray them, can someone suggest a good herbicide. A friend said he has had good luck with Grazon.
 
Grazon,24D and Roundup will all work. But remember you will kill alfalfa and clover also with the Grazon and 24D.

Round up will kill everything.

You may have to spot spray with a hand sprayer to save the legumes.

Gary
 
Hope you have better luck than i do killing canadian thistle. I have fott it for years with poor results.Mow before it seeds let it green up hit with 24d and banvel.You will keep it from spreading if repeated often.
 
The best way to kill the canadian thistle is to spray the fall re-growth. They are actively feeding their root systems to save up for winter, so they pull in the herbicide better. They are tough survivors and you have to be persistent and consistent.
 
I sprayed GRAZON and REMEDY on pasture to kill thistle and broadleaf weeds. I"m not sure what it would do to alfalfa but it did not kill my clover. I mixed 1 gallon Remedy and 2 gallon GRAZON with 1/2 gallon surfactant to 100 gallon at a rate of 10 gallon to the acre.

I may have just got lucky with the clover. I would probably just spot spray in alfalfa.
 
Is there a dye to put in the spot sprayer so you know where you've been? I've got thistles and blackberries that I want to spot spray but am sure I'd miss some.
Is there some way to tell where I've sprayed? I can just imagine wandering out there with my boys and we're each spraying what has already been hit.

Thanks...Grub

 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top