Thoughts on a Massey 50

Kevin5055

New User
I'm looking for a smaller tractor with a loader to move some stuff around my property (logs, dirt, etc.). There is a 50 (1958) locally with a Massey Model 38 loader, a 6' scraper blade, boom lift, and PTO shaft. The guy wants 3500 for it. It is in pretty good shape and looks to have been kept in the barn.

The only concerning thing I noticed was there seems to be a bit of fresh oil on the head near the spark plugs. To me it doesn't look like it's coming down from the valve cover. I'm almost thinking it is coming up through the he ad bolts (i.e. a leaking he ad gasket). However, I would have expected more oil on the block. Does anyone else have any other thoughts?

There also appears to be a little oil leaking towards the rear of the engine but I couldn't pin point where it was coming from. The loader cross-member made it difficult to see, but I would guess it is coming from the rear main seal.

We had it running (mostly idling for 30 minutes) and it didn't overheat. I didn't check the coolant beforehand, but the oil looked normal.

I know my way around cars, but I don't have experience with tractors. Does 3500 seem fair? I guess I was working backwards assuming the loader/scraper/boom lift would be around 1500 separately so that puts it around 2000 for the tractor.

I apologize, it isn't letting me post pictures. I also tried to post a link to my google drive but that isn't working either.

Runs, drives, tires good, then yes 3500 seems fair. I would not worry about a
little oil seepage on a 60 year old tractor, as long as there is no steady leak. A
case of oil could last for a while and is a lot cheaper than an overhaul. Some of
those engines will seep some oil around the spark plugs, which would indicate oil
passing the rings or valve seals, but again, a small amount of oil usage won't hurt
for the limited use it will see.

Ben

Thank you. I still can't get the photos to post, but I did put them on the Tractorshed, including one of the head. From what I can tell, parts are somewhat common for the Z134. I think I'm just getting cold feet, probably because I don't have much tractor experience.

Make sure has power steering. $3500 sounds like a good price if Rear tires are good
& check for rusted rear wheels. My mf65 one rear wheel started leaking & the other
is rusted pretty good. I do have calcium in the rear wheels.

Ok, I feel better about it. I will probably just clean it pretty good, check the plugs for fouling, and then keep an eye on where it is actually leaking. He said he did an oil change, but the oil seemed pretty dark. I'm hoping he didn't over-fill it or something? I guess at the end of the day I'm mentally prepared that I might have to do some work if that is the case.

Regarding the power steering, I am fairly certain it does. There are a couple lines running on the left hand side to in front of the radiator with a can by the distributor.

Here are the photos you posted:

c146962.jpg

c146961.jpg

c146959.jpg

c146958.jpg

It would be wise to check the pivot bushings on the front axle. The bushings are thin walled, and if not maintained they wear through and into the castings. Loaders speed up the bushing wear.

Eric's comment is correct and a check often over looked. My 50 never had a FEL on it but the bushing still wore out. The good news, it is an easy fix IF it doesn't have a loader on it.

Hard to beat a nice 50 with the factory muffler those Continentals just purr. I don't see any oil leaks to worry about. You should see my 65 diesel, but it always answers the call and gets the job done.

Thank you all for calming my nerves and the help. I will definitely check out the front pivot bushings. I ended up purchasing a parts and service manual last night.

I can hardly wait until Saturday when I receive it!

Thanks again everyone!

The 50 is a great little tractor. The Continental Z134 engines were built by the millions. They are in lots of older industrial equipment that is still in use. Repair parts are plentiful.
Sleeved engine that is easy to rebuild.
I think you will like it.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back