Thread chaser I think.???????

Walt Davies

Well-known Member
I bought this at the auction on Saturday I think its a thread chaser but I not real sure I Old but not this Old.

"Butterfield & Co."
"Derby Line VT."

" NO. 32B"
Walt

<a href="http://s77.photobucket.com/albums/j50/WaltDavies/?action=view&current=100_0271.jpg" target="_blank">
100_0271.jpg" border="0" alt="Photobucket
</a>

<a href="http://s77.photobucket.com/albums/j50/WaltDavies/?action=view&current=100_0269.jpg" target="_blank">
100_0269.jpg" border="0" alt="Photobucket
</a>
 
I have one just like that. Dad had it around the farm before I took over, 50 plus years ago. Use it once in a while for cleaning threads. Frank
 
Called a die plate. It cut several different diameters with the same threads per inch, I think. Depended on the original rod diameter and the squeeze on the pieces. One set probably could cut 6-32, 7-32, 8-32, 9-32, and 10-32. 7 and 9 have been forgotten in the last 50 years.

Gerald J.
 
It is sommetimes called a "split die". I have one that has 5/8"-1-1/8" threads that my father used when he ran a dealership shop for John Deere. The farmers were bad about forgetting to grease the front wheel bearings and when the bearings tore up it often bruised the threads. I use it occasionally, but not sure whether they are even still made.
 
They really don't cut threads, more or less form them on the outside of any size rod within the range of the tool. Each set of dies fits a range of rod sizes, with thread pitch becoming smaller with each smaller die set. There used to be a matching slightly tapered set of taps to make inside threads to match. With them a nut could be made to fit whatever thread was formed by running the tap in to a depth, or diameter to suit. My grandfather was a part time blacksmith and he had a complete set of them. I think one of my cousins ended up with them.
Paul
 
When it downloaded. I was setting here thinking I had seen one like that some where. But could not remember what it was called or did. Thanks
 
Hello Walt Davis
I have used a similar tool. It was for chasing threads for an axle housing nut.
Guido.
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top