Thread Tape and Gasket Question

Had this discussion recently with a couple of ole tractor guys near me and I thought I would see what others say or do. Do you use thread tape (and if so what brand?) on things such as your sediment bowl, if
you were to replace it? Same question for the probe end that goes into the block for a temperature gauge. And for a gasket sealant, what do you folks use? For example, when rebuilding the carb and putting
it back on, do you use a gasket maker, a new gasket (and if you use a new gasket, do you put a gasket sealer on with it?). These ole guys had various opinions, some using thread tape and some say no way, some
use gasket maker while other say no way, use a new gasket and sealer. I know there isn't always a right or wrong answer, but it sure is fun hearing the stories!

If there are NPT pipe fittings I use Teflon Thread Tape. Of course its NOT for o rings, flared, flange or compression fittings.

I use BOTH new gaskets PLUS a bit of high temperature correct rated sealant coating when rebuilding carbs

John T

Only ever needed to have one carb apart and used same old gasket only still seals. For other places I may or may not use anything with the gasket. For head gaskets the old sandwich ones I use gun grease on them. Some times I use some thing on a gasket where the casting may have been damaged from removal if there are nicks I can't get out. Most times on a new gasket I don't use anything.

Temperature gauge is one thing you ask about, if you have the manual type as shown in the link the threads on that type of gauge does not do the sealing. Rather the brass lip on the bulb is pressed down tight on a seat inside the bushing or adapter that screws in the engine. So a light application of RTV or your other favorite gasket sealer around the inner lip before installing is all you need. And I would recommend anti-seize on the tube nut threads. The bushing or adapter is usually NTP that screws in the engine so tape or thread sealer is what you would apply there.
Manual temp gauge example

The biggest problem with Teflon tape is when it is applied incorrectly. Leave the first thread or two bare so that any pieces don't get pulled into the line. Tape, and/or thread sealant (pipe dope) are primarily for lubricating the threads during assembly, most will stay pliable for years and do act as a sealant.
I have used tape on sediment bulbs and in a few cases as packing between the nut and ferrule on some nearly worn out cheapie compression fittings in low pressure applications. Specifically, at the fuel line connection into the carb on a Farmall M.
I prefer using actual gaskets on carb bowls and whenever possible, but have made several out of a cereal box or pasteboard.

here is what I have done successfully is the to use high grade natural gas pipe tape or dope. Both have worked successfully and closed off from any leaks in the joints. This is best I have found for all joints I have made.
Chose the best material and leave the rest in the store is a god motto to go by.
Wm.

True there regarding using tape like you
are wrapping up a mummy.

Would add, after years of usage and then
removing a fitting with old tape, often the
tape breaks apart and it is a pain in the
arse to get out of the thread grooves - add
to it the little pieces enjoy shooting into
wherever you don't want them to go

I have sat there with a curved pick and
plucked all that old tape off of threads
and sure enough, like some magical magnet,
those little pieces love trying to
disappear inside whatever I am working on -
hence why I avoid tape like the plague

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back