throttle problems

Anonymous-0

Well-known Member
I have a jet star 3 that i cant seem to get to throttle the way it should.If it is in the idle position and i move the throttle just two or three notches it is then wide open,theres no inbetween. Is there a chance the problem could be in the governor, if so, what can i do to the governor to correct the problem?thanks in advance.
 
Sounds like the gov is not working in its operating area, Out of its travel, Also could be too stiff a spring has been put on it. THose gov. didn't give much trouble internally.
 
I had a 445 like that once. Somehow the link from the governor to the carb was way too long. (OR was it too short?). But check your governor spring first:

Your governor spring should be coiled around a bullet shaped aluminum piece that can force the governor arm forward, closing the throttle to idle. If you have something else, its been changed and you will probably need the correct parts. I saw a 335 once that had an extra spring. It worked fine with just the original spring when a bit of rust was removed from the linkage pivots.

The way I checked the governor link, I disconnected it at one end. Then I started the engine, holding the carburetor throttle closed with my hand. I then pulled the governor arm back with my other hand until I felt the governor pushing back on the arm. Then I compared the disconnected link to the hole it mounts in to see what the difference was and lengthened or shortened it.

I am also thinking you want the link about 1/2 a hole short, so the governor travel will definately be able to force the throttle on the carburetor closed. Meaning the governor weights are still pushing on the link when the throttle is fully closed on the carburetor.

It is a good idea to have a helper near the kill switch ready to cut it off in case the engine runs away.
 
Hello On my jet star 3 1964 year I had the same problem. I live by a Minnie dealer that still have the old tmers around they asked me what the linkage looked like from the gov to the carb. I said straight they told me to bend it up in the middle like 1 to 2'' up the spring and carb doesn't have enough pull to get the gov to work. I bent it a little it worked better than I bent it about 11/2 and it worked great. After I set all the settings on the linkage. It seems the direction of the pull with the bend is what makes it work.If you have any ? e-mail me
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top