Tie Rod ball socket - MH 101 Jr.

stevieb49829

Does anyone have a way to find one of these, for my '44 Massey Harris, 101 Jr. Standard model? I've used all sorts of search descriptions, and all I can find are ball joints. My parts manual is in the mail, but not due for a couple of weeks.

cvphoto143939.jpg

1.25 inches OD, by about 3.5 inches long, 3/4-16 female threads for the tie rod and jamb nut (as best I could tell). And yes, that yellow and chrome thing is a screwdriver. I have plenty of those. Thanks for your help. steve

i will ask also... whats wrong with that one? as the ball wears you just tighten the end screw and lock it with a cotter pin.

I would also like the name of this type of joint as my Case tractors have a smaller version on the throttle arm at the carburetor. Previous owners do some hard to understand things sometimes.

And if it is not a show tractor, after the disc is replaced and screw tight, you may split a flat washer and put it over the ball and weld it in place BTDT

rustred is correct; it is adjustable.. If you have two good cups, then pull the cotter-pin, screw in on the screwdriver slot to tighten up the socket. Lub, good to go!!!

Ok, here's the not-so-good one. I cut the bolt off that was welded across to keep the ball in, and cut the weld off the threaded ball cup to see if it was salvageable. Not much left that is serviceable, both movable cups are missing.
cvphoto143946.jpg

hummm, now i seeeeh. got to be lots of 44's out there for parts. just thinking ... even if you cut the end off one from a w6 . i think its the same. but it is non adjustable. so you would have to weld it on with the correct length.

Also, T, those were very common on '60s car throttle linkages. Some even just snapped the ball into a spring clip socket. Be easier than looking for old case parts.

You can buy those new for Model A Fords.I can't remember what the thread size is though,you would have to adapt to that.You can get them from,Snyders,Mikes Afordable,Brattons,Berts,anywhere they sell Model A parts.

I am prepared to weld this all back up to capture the ball. I'd just really like to get a good one to replace it, vs finding an appropriate tap, to thread the end, and finding the threaded adjuster, and both cups, or making them. My other thought is to find an appropriate ball joint, with the 3/4-16 female threads, and rebuilding my ball shaft to accept the taper on the ball joint. Which brings up another subject: are there pro's and con's of welding up forged steel parts?

Thanks, Keith. I did run across some of these for the early Fords, but the threads did not match. I could drill and retap if they are similar dimensions, though. Good suggestion. steve

I call them adjustable drag links. I guess because the sockets to adjust them are called drag link sockets. I think you will find the steering arm on MH 80, 82 combines probably others of same era have the same end.

If you still have the 'cups'-the disks with one side curved, they go on each side of the 'ball'-and I am also thinking somtimes there is a rather stiff sping in there between the adjsting plug and the outer 'cup'. Someone with a lathe and milling machine could make you a new housing and plug.
If they know how to harden steel they could make the cups too.

The problem I'm having with converting to a ball joint, is the shaft that comes out of my spindle, has a ball forged onto the end of it. I'd have to modify that ball to accommodate a connection to that spindle shaft. I'm not above doing that, since I did it on my hotrod to get the right tapered hole end on the lever arm on my spindles. But right now I'm willing to put in the effort to find a NOS, or repro, or good used part to get it done. Especially since the other side is just fine, to use as is. Steve

Yup, I just pulled up a bunch of them for Farmalls. I just don't know if the female threads are 3/4-16, to fit my tie rod. I'm about to ask Grandpa Love if he knows.

(quoted from post at 00:13:31 12/31/22) Yup, I just pulled up a bunch of them for Farmalls. I just don't know if the female threads are 3/4-16, to fit my tie rod. I'm about to ask Grandpa Love if he knows.
ttps://forumphotos.yesterdaystractors.com/photos/mvphoto100869.png[/img]

The Reference ID: 48280DB that YT shows in thier listing is used with IH 114499 jam nut = 3/4 inch N.F.

Item 4 is nut 114499
Item 5 is TR end 48280DB

mvphoto100870.png

mvphoto100871.png

Double 0, so why couldn't I find this info? I must not be looking in the right place. I was about to call them and ask the question about the size of the threads. Thank you for getting to the info I needed. Steve

So, to follow what you did: Took YT's reference number to an IH/Farmall? site, to come up with the specifications? I do have an email inquiry into YT for the specs, but your method was a lot faster. Time to get an order in, and help finance this site. Thanks, again. steve

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back