Tied up one axle to move trailer

37 chief

I finally found someone to take away a beat up 18 ft goose neck stock trailer. My brother used it for years until he got his aluminum trailer. It needed two sets of tires. The guy I gave it to just replaced the tires on one axle. To haul it away he removed the tires on one axle, and chained it up off the road, It did look fairly strange, and towed it to San Diego and beyond. Before he left, I checked on how they were doing. He was helping himself to my chains. I gave him the trailer you would think he would have at least asked about the chains. He did say he would bring them back. The trailer is probably in Mexico by now. Anyway one less thing in my way. Stan

(quoted from post at 21:17:18 01/28/21) I finally found someone to take away a beat up 18 ft goose neck stock trailer. My brother used it for years until he got his aluminum trailer. It needed two sets of tires. The guy I gave it to just replaced the tires on one axle. To haul it away he removed the tires on one axle, and chained it up off the road, It did look fairly strange, and towed it to San Diego and beyond. Before he left, I checked on how they were doing. He was helping himself to my chains. I gave him the trailer you would think he would have at least asked about the chains. He did say he would bring them back. The trailer is probably in Mexico by now. Anyway one less thing in my way. Stan

Well, heck YA, sounds like things are "going your way"!

I see more trailers where they raise one axle when running empty, mostly goose-neck up to semi.
I did that once when I had a flat on my 7K trailer and forgot the spare- took wheel off and chained up that side of the axle. Luckily only 5 miles from home, proceeded at a moderate pace.

I agree. Reminds me of many years ago, Dad had a guy getting some old hay out of an old barn down the road. I don't know what the payment arrangement, if any, was, but I never heard a complaint. But when the ropes which were on the corn picker elevator flapper and clutch disappeared, he was not happy. I'm guessing he was giving the old hay away, as the guy was helping himself. Apparently some figure if you're wealthy enough to be giving something away, then a little more is even better.

The single lady next door had "rights" to firewood from the woods I bought with the farm. She hadn't done anything with it since her husband had left. She had a helpful brother in law who would get her wood. I told her to have at it. Then it turns out the guy was either taking it home and using it, or selling it. Too bad, as that stopped everything.

My chains ended up growing legs and walking off, one was welded together with three different chains. Bother in law hauls steel coils, i did some tractor work for him and asked if he had some broken chains. He said no but had a trailer someone had thrown two chains in that had gotten filled with salt water. He gave me them and I drug them up and down the gravel drive a few times, washed them off and sprayed them with phosphoric acid. I painted them pink and purple I don't think I will lose them but you never know.

I did that once with a tandem axle boat trailer when a wheel bearing went out 70 miles from home.

I took the wheel off and chained that end of the axle up to the frame. Made it home OK.

When I built a tandem trailer in 1980 I cut holes in the frame above each axle specifically for that purpose, I never needed them, so they worked! Sold the trailer 30 years ago.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back