Ultradog MN

Not sure what this type of drag is called.
I have been looking for some type of a
spike tooth to pull behind my disc to
smooth out the soil for deer plots.
It is 90in wide.
Are they effective?
It's coming up at an auction.
What is it worth?

cvphoto149978.jpg

Called a chain harrow around here. I've got a 12ft.
I've pulled it behind a disk, does a pretty good job.
May not knock down high spots as well as a solid drag due to it's flexible nature.
I've also flipped it over (tines up) to drag pastures.
Don't see them at auction much, Google chain harrow to get an idea of price.

Pasture harrow. It should work for what you want, provided it's the last step. Unless you're in soft soil, it won't break up clods very well.

A couple of the neighboring horsey owners complain that they fall apart as easily as they go together. I only had trouble loading up a neighbor's on to a trailer. He said it was stretched & didn't stay together well. One we figured to lift it to put it back together, things went smoother.

Can't imagine that one pictured will go for much. They are fairly cheap when new.

Mike

Thanks fellas.
If I can get it for a C Note - including the 15% buyers fee and 7.5% sales tax I'll buy it. Means I can bid $75 or so.
Auction ends in a couple of hours.
I'll let you know what happens.

I have used one just like it to harrow my pastures. I have never had mine come apart. Three sections gives me 12 feet of working width. I use it where I feed the cows in the winter and probably harrow it 2 or 3 times in the spring. I sometimes drag tires hooked together behind the pasture drag. The whole operation keeps the neighbors wondering what I am doing. ( big smile)

Never seen anything like that used in this area but I've been thinking about how I can knock down and spread those huge cow pies in my little 30 acre pasture here where we have been feeding cattle all winter that I may want to cut for hay, if it ever rains. Got a couple of sections of regular old drag spike tooth harrow that I may try.

It almost looks like you could rig up something with a section of hurricane fence & some cut down baler pick up teeth or similar. If it can be done, it'd be a little lighter duty than the one in the picture, but should work for evening out a deer plot seed bed.

Provided you want to go through all that, can source the supplies cheap, etc.

Mike

About any brand of Drag will work, for spreading the material in a feeding pasture, it will be the tallest grass next year,ever hear of a Melroe harrow,, their here for cheap in North Dakota.

a 16 ft corral panel,a steel bed frame behind your 4 wheeler will scatter manure piles. Throe a couple of tires on for weight.

I've never seen one like that. The one I used when I was a kid was a four section, each section had about five horizontal adjustable bars with spikes about like you'd find as I remember on the railroad.
Each section also had an adjustable lever to lay the spikes from flat to straight up and down.

My former boss has a farm and he has one of them Drags they use a lot for re seeding and land scaping around the trees And buildings. They can be pulled several ways to get more effect from the teeth to smooth the ground. I think the Farm supply stores may sell them for Acreage Farmers as he bought another unit just for a backup spare??? Personally I prefer a old fashion Skite Harrow but they are old & Broken and hook on everything you go past and just not appealing to the modern acreage owner?? Cleddy

Had one of those I used to drag pastures to spread cow pies. Worked just fine. I think the dealer called it an English harrow? Sold it last year to a guy that was going to use it to drag a gravel parking lot. Mine only had the one tow bar. Could be used on either end to reverse the teeth.

I have one made by ABI that came with a frame so it can be attached to the 3 point hitch. I like it for seed bed prep and such. The frame allows it to be picked up for transport.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back