Tire Changer and Balancer

Good Afternoon Gentlemen, I'm looking into buying a tire changer and balancer and was curious if you had any recommendations of what to get and what to look out for. I'd like the ability to change tires on aluminum and steel wheels from 16 inch up to a 20/22 inch found on modern pickup trucks. I also want the ability to change tires on dually pickups that have the offset wheels. I know doing my own tire work isn't a get rich quick scheme but we have about a dozen vehicles and just as many trailers on the property. Thanks for your input.

(quoted from post at 14:11:54 08/17/23) Good Afternoon Gentlemen, I'm looking into buying a tire changer and balancer and was curious if you had any recommendations of what to get and what to look out for. I'd like the ability to change tires on aluminum and steel wheels from 16 inch up to a 20/22 inch found on modern pickup trucks. I also want the ability to change tires on dually pickups that have the offset wheels. I know doing my own tire work isn't a get rich quick scheme but we have about a dozen vehicles and just as many trailers on the property. Thanks for your input.
aybe check out auctions when a gas station or dealer goes out of business. New with that much capacity would set you back a ways. BTW, completely unrelated, when we used to visit my great-grandparents in Butler we often went swimming at Silversides.

This is a new age for tire-changing and balancing. You will need to look at the current equipment and prices and decide if you want to do it yourself or have your local tire shop mount and balance your tires. My guess is good quality mounting and balancing equipment today will set you back $5,000 to $7,500.

(quoted from post at 16:07:51 08/17/23) My guess is good quality mounting and balancing equipment today will set you back $5,000 to $7,500.

A good quality tire machine that will do what he wants will be more in the $8000 to $15,000 range for a new one.

Buying used is very risky. . Unless I actually got to see a used one working. I would not consider buying one. A rotating valve can easily set you back $300.. A motor $500.. Labor on them is also big money. So paying 3 or 4 grand for a used one then have to have it repaired to make it useable could set you back quite a bit.

I like Hunter brand changers and have them at the shop. But AVOID the models with a rotating head.

Coats also makes good changers. But I have never owned or operated one.
------------------------

If you buy one. Get someone with knowledge to train you on how to use it properly. For if don't. You will destroy tire sensors, scratch up rims and possibly destroy tires. Learn how to properly lock down different types of rims. Some lock on the inside and others need locked on the outside. Some tires come off with the outside of the rim facing up, others facing down. A tire machine is not hard to operate if you know the proper way to work with different tire and wheel combos.

You will want a rim clamp changer,the center post most of us grew up with are obsolete. I have never had a problem with Coats,Corgi is another good machine. You will need to decide how you will power it,some use electricity and air,Coats (what I had)only needed air. A warehouse in Indy is a place to look, Greg Williams.com

Chris,. Buy a Hunter or Coats brand. They are the Cadilacs of tire machines. Be sure you have a commercial air compressor to run them. A home owners or farm compressor will not usually put out enough air to run one. I spent 22 years owning my tire shop. And do not buy the smallest machines you can find. When I sold my tire shop, I paid myself for a decent rim clamp machine. It is not a Coats or a Hunter machine and I have had problems finding a few small parts for it. My at home wheel balancer came from our local coop. They were updating their tire shop. I had to go on line and buy a cone for the 18 aluminum wheels on my work van. Good luck with your tire shop.

For occasional and farm use, I would look into Greg Smith Equipment. Yes, it's offshore Coats knockoffs, but they work and are reasonable. A name brand modern tire machine is $15K+, balancer $10K+. I sell tires, but my volume doesn't justify those prices. I have a Greg Smith rim clamp and an auction find Bosch balancer, they serve me fine.

My machines are Coats when I brought them new I was not aware of cheaper machines. I have buds that brought cheaper machines I am not aware of any issues they have had. I have had issues with my coats tire machine its loaded with cheap china parts if there is any good to that the parts were not exspensive... and readily available.

Make sure you get a assist arm for low profile ties its became a must. On the balancer if used research how you set it up. Mine was set up by a factory installer it was part of the deal. I don't see how you can move them about and not at the least check the calibration.

My balancer is a coats 850 I have went behind others with machines that cost 4 times as much that were out of balance. Its rare I am not satisfied with the outcome. It has happen I have hauled the tires to another shop to resolve the issue but those were truck tires that were just to big for my machine. When my balancer is not in use its disconnected from power. I had to clean and adjust a switch in it one time.

No way I would buy a machine from a place that's heavy into tires cuzz the machine is worn out. You don't just up and buy new Equitment till its becomes an issue. My tire machine is air I have always questioned that should I am went electric.

Just to let you know. The Assist arm that Hobo,NC spoke of is the part circled in red. They are a must have on low profile tires, "extra load" and "run flat" type tires that have very stiff sidewalls. And helps even on some 12-14" wide car and truck tires.

mvphoto108684.jpg

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back