Super A Turf Tires

Wanting to change my Ag.tires on my Super A to a set of Turf tires I begin checking prices and local tire dealer want around $900.00 each for new tires which is sort of too rich for my blood. So I checked with my local tractor salvage yard to see if he had any. He found a set in his yard he would sell me for $250.00 wheels and all for both. Here is the problem ! My tractor calls for size 9x24 on the rear and his tires are 8.3 x 24 and am wondering is his tires will fit and work on my rims because his rims are off of a old Ford Tractor. I haven't went to look at them yet and check things out but was wondering if anybody has ever put 8.3x24 tires on Super A rims before ? Thanks in advance for any help !

Close enough they will work fine. Way to much worry about an inch or 2 on tires fitting by width. If your worried about a trailer queen maybe a working tractor not an issue. We have 14.9-38s on where 11or 12s were on our MD works fine might look a bit different.

I'm not familiar with Super A wheels/rims, but have a couple of observations.

$900 @ seems a wildly high price for tires of that size. A Google search shows that internet dealer will sell and deliver a pair of tires for much less that your local dealer is quoting for a single tire.

I've never heard of a Ford tractor that used a turf tire in that size range. The earlier N series used a 28 tire that was wider. I suppose that a tire of that size could have been fit on one of the smaller Shibaura Japanese made Ford tractors in the 1970's or 1980's. Tractordata.com shows that the 16HP 1300 tractor used a 8.3 x 24 rear ag tire, but the turf tire option used a 13.6 x 16 tire.

Single man, where are you located and what's the phone number for the salvage yard? I want to buy those tires for my BN while you're thinking about it!

Just kidding! :lol: I agree that the slight difference in size should be no problem.

Thanks Everyone for the quick response to my question. Guess I'll be at the salvage yard tomorrow checking those tires for Dry Rot. A cheap price is worth nothing if they don't hold up and for the winter I'll leave the Ag tires and chains on for plowing snow. If I get real lucky those rims will fit my tractor. Thanks again !

I wish you luck. I've been looking for 11.2-24 turf tires for my BN with a mower. I find none either new or used. Manufactures say maybe next year they will have some. If so they will be $500 or more each plus tubes.
Dave

Don't know where you are from but I will look for the size you need when I go to my local tractor salvage yard and let you know if they have them. Then I'll let you know if you want to pursue it. Google tractor salvage yards near me ( you )

Where are you located?

I know of a set of like new 12.4 X 24 Good years mounted on like new 10 inch rims. They would bolt up to your wheels.

They are located in Michigan.

Thanks for the thought but I'm in N/E Pennsylvania but it might help someone else in here and that would be a good thing. I'm 71 YO and almost done Bulling and Raring after a Rough & Ready life style. Not going to invest too much more in my Old Farmal. Time to start thinking of Traveling and Fishing. LOL

The Salvage yard man told me that those tires on that Ford were not the original Rims and tires on the tractor. They were just put on to move the tractor because it went thru a fire. That's why you can't find a Ford with that size.

I'm sure at 80 YO you been there done that. I never ran away from a tough job but after all the snow we had last winter and cleaning too large properties with a walk behind snow blower I finally had to buy and rebuilt & install a snow plow on my Farmall Super A. After last winter it took 7 months to get my legs straightened out so I could start to walk proper again, and wondered if I would be able to climb into the operator station of the tractor.

I spent 43 years driving truck. Been in 49 states and parts of Canada.

I also farmed and collected antique tractors. Now all I do is sit around and talk about it.

My heart goes out to you man. it's our reward for being guys and all part of the game we play. I just want to be able to walk to the pond to go fishing with my grand-sons a while longer.

According to Tractor Data web site the Cub takes 8 X 24 size tires on the rear and according to my reprint operators manual for the Super A it take 9 X 24 on the rear. So those 8.3 tires at the salvage yard are meant for a Cub. While it might work on my tractor it might make ruts on soft ground and I don't want that on my lawn because my tractor is heavier than a cub. Guess I better look for a 9.5 - 10 X 24 Thanks for making me check and have second thoughts.

If you are looking at all options, you might consider what some cub folks have done.

I think that the bolt pattern for A is slightly different than the Cub, so I have no idea what sort of wheel you would need.

I also noticed that aftermarket four loop 24 rims are available in both 8 and 10 width. Perhaps you could consider a different rim and wider tire if something was available in the right price range.
Untitled URL Link

Thanks for the Food for Though. I guess I'm in no hurry to buy something that is a Make Do because Summer lawn work is a ways off. Right now I have great Ag. tires with chains for plowing snow so why settle for less than I want. But time to get the search ball rolling !

9.5 tires would not make the tractor float where 8.3's would sink and make ruts. There just isn't that much difference. When Cubs needed flotation they went to a 16.5x16.1 turf tire on the back.

Maybe if you ran DUAL 8.3's it would float where it would otherwise make ruts, but then you have those skinny little pizza cutter tires on the front making way worse ruts than your rears ever thought of!

The 8.3's will help slightly for power to run the mower by reducing your ground speed slightly.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back