Tire Question

Allan in NE

Well-known Member
Getting everything together to put the duals on my 1066 with 18.4 X 38 tires.

Do radials stand taller than bias tires?

Thanks,

Allan
 
Can I let the pressure down out of those duals to even 'em out? Got about 22 lbs in 'em now.

Really, really don't wanna buy another set of tires and I've just got to have the duals. :>(

Allan
 
Hi Allan

I'm not sure from radial to bias, but I've seen a Firestone rear tractor tire stand 2-3 inches taller than a Goodyear both being the same size and only on a WD45.

By the way I sure enjoy all the work you do on you equipment. The pictures make me think I would enjoy having you as a neighbor and friend. Maybe sometime I'll venture from NE Iowa to NW Nebraska to have a chance to sit down over a cup of coffe.

We farm and I'm also a Realestate broker. My brother does the major farming operation for me.
I basically play with the old tractor's, haul some corn to town. Or work ahead of the planter.

My tractors are WD45, D19, and 220 Allis Chalmers. Thanks

Bob
 
Yes...I think that's about right...was gonna say 10. It's been a long time since I've checked or put air in to be honest with ya.
 
Okay, will do.

Got to looking at those things and just about had the big one. Don't even wanna buy tires! :>)

Allan
 
I think your question has already been answered,but I have run radials as low as 7 lbs. It depends a bit on axle weight. I have worried about spinning them on the rims, but have never had it happen. So, yep just even them up by eye.
 
Depends on the tire.... Some radials are a bit taller such as the Michelin's I have on some stuff while other are shorter. As an example I have a pair of 23 degree Firestone Radial All Traction's on my big tractor and I use some fairly well worn GoodYear Dyna Torque II's (bias)on the duals. The Good Year's are taller by an inch or a bit better so I let a lot of air out of them. I keep the inners around 12 and probably 8 or so in the duals. You can probably just get by with eyeballing the duals for height.... Do keep the radials aired up some if you have tubes in them though or you'll probably spin the stems off. I've done that so many times now that I'm aboujt done with tubes...

Rod
 
I"ve never heard of any "standard" between tire companies regarding profile, height, etc. I run three field tractors with inside radials, outside bias...about 16 psi on the inside, 12 on the outside. Would never run higher psi on the outside, no matter the tire type. I run duals just as much for traction as flotation...remember that discussion a while ago? Simple matter of getting through wet spots and delivering power to the ground when dry and doing tillage/planting. Last 30+ years, I know of only one small operator who still runs singles.
 
Yes Sir,

I might have to humbly ammend my opinion, 'er........eat a little crow on that subject.

Bought a disc like this one and think it is fer sure gonna take some traction. :>(

Allan

ACF7939.JPG
 
Don't know if this is what you're doing or not but a tire guy told me you're not supposed to put radial duals with bias main tires, but then he wanted to sell me radial duals to. Seen any 4 bottom IH rollover plows for sale lately. Lee
 
Depends! Different manufactures or even just different tread patterns from the same manufacturer can vary even though they are the same size. Most company websites list the circumference of each tire so you can check there.
 
You know Allan, I don't know the answer to that, but I'm going to find out myself. I just had new radials put on my 4520 because mine were at about 30% and needed new tires. My outers when I use them are about 80% and biased ply. When I put them on, I'm going to find out. Now, I didn't go with the most expensive radials because I've never used them before, don't know how they'll perform on a lighter tractor. I'm thinking that they're really for much bigger. They cost me about $400 a piece more than the bias ply, so not really bad. I went with Titans. I could've gone with Goodyear, Firestone, or Michelin, but when get into the radials, start talking $$$. Again, I went for the less expensive Titans. Cost me about $1K a piece to get done. My bias plys bars cut across the centers, my radials stop near center and are supposed to clean better. One thing's for sure, compared to the old 30%ers I took off, these guys really pull and I'll be using them far more alone than as duals. Should I mix bias plys and radials? Got me. I'll be mixing radials with more shorter bars mixed with bias with less longer bars, so something's gonna happen, and I'm thinking the bias will be taller in my case...bars going beyond center...but then again, 80% versus 100%. I don't know yet.

You know who would know the best? A tire guy. I got mine from the Deere guy because he was closer, and the cost and labor was comparable. But, I had to do my own homework as to what I think might work, for what I hope will be a good setup. A tire guy probably could've called me a nitwit right off the bat, or said might work. The Deere guy's better at tractors than tires, the tire guy's better at tires than tractors. Me? I'm a novice compared to either of them, but like you, I'm trying.

Good luck Allan.
 
JD 4255, 18.4X38 Radials with bias duals. Worked ok in the field, but shook you clear out of cab on road. I think it was because, due to the radial's "squat", the bias duals held the tractor up on hard surfaces--it would shake the teeth out of your mouth!! IT felt like you could feel every tread bar hitting the road. Tried upping PSI on radials and lowering PSI on bias, but still extremely poor roading ride. (12 farms scattered over 20 miles--lots of roading here). I think you could get by fine if only 1 or 2 close farms.

PSI across all 4 rears if radials--12 psi or so unless heavy mounted equip, then more. If tubeless, you can go down to 7 or 8 psi dualed up (if you try that low with tubes, you will eventually shear off the valve stems.
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top