'tis the season....

Rich'sToys

We had a couple local tractor displays earlier this month, so since it's now what used to be cultivating season, I decided to put the 4-row on my '42 A. Used to be you saw one in practically every field this time of year; now some people have never even seen one.
I've already taken it back off, but had it on for a couple weeks just to show it off.

mvphoto93792.jpg

mvphoto93793.jpg

I think that was Dad's favorite tool. It went from the 50 to the 2510. Most of our ground was worked across the slope. But there
was one field that was worked up and down slope. He would cultivate deep, and we'd get a summertime thunderstorm, and the erosion
was horrible. Same with some of the headlands on the other fields. It still sets in the shed where he parked it over 30 years ago.

Spent many, MANY hours in the seat of a '49 B with one of those on the front.

First time over corn with the shields on running half-mile long rows will teach you any number of ways to stay awake...

Thanks for this posting, Rich. What were some corn yields you might remember from that time? Was that rig also used for soybean weeding?

The pictures are of a Deere cultivator. They were called quick attach, stands held the frame up to catch the front plate and then drive in until the sides touched the tractor and put the bolts in. The rear rigs were a totally different issue. The fronts would mount or dismount in less than 10 minutes, the rear rigs took a while longer.

Oh man I spent a lifetime of hours with
that cultivator. Ours was on a 60. Watch
on the left then the right. Back and
forth. Back and forth. Then turn around to
see how it looked coming out the back. At
which time you covered 20 ft. Or worse yet
dug out 4 rows.

Yep, it was used on soybeans also.

My Dad had an identical cultivator to this one when I was growing up. It was also mounted on an A identical to this one. I ran it a few times, but most of the cultivating was done by him.

I think back then 100 bushels per acre would have been one hell of a crop.

Reminds me a lot of Dad's F 12, when he attached the cultivator for the beans, then removed it and attached the cutting blades, and cut just two
rows at a time. He cut at night to keep the beans from shelling out. Stan

Agree it is a Deere cultivator, but will qualify your mental picture of quick and easy to attach. It was pretty easy- [u:df4916e830]the second and subsequent times each season[/u:df4916e830]. First time could be a bear if the hogs had used it as a scratching post or it had come off its stands in some other way. You also didn't wanna leave it too close to a fence or other barrier as sometimes it wouldn't swing into place as it should so you had to keep driving or wrestle it into place.

I'm a Deere guy, but IH had a much better system. If there was any alignment difficulty, you only had one half to deal with.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back