TO-20 starter switch

Hdonly

I.ve had two starter switches burn up with less than a dozen starts on each one. After the first one burnt, I suspected the starter, so I bought a new starter and switch. The second switch burnt up after only a few starts. Jump straight to the starter, and it started fine. This time I bought another new starter switch and used it to power a more modern Ford style solenoid switch. So far so good. Will see what the future brings. I am thinking that many of these replacement transmission operated switches are cheap Chinese junk. Have any of you all had problems with new replacement switches?
mvphoto102568.jpg

Don't know. I reworked the wife's TO-20 and did the same set up about 20 years ago now. No, that's not quite
right. . . About, well, fudge. Yeah, I suppose it has been about 20 years. I also added a fuel, water, temp, volt
and amp gauges to her machine as well as a master cut off switch. That silly thing still isn't done.

I plan on adding a temp gauge to it. Have oil pressure and amp gauge already. I might just remove the amp gauge and put the temp gauge in that hole.

How is the adjustment on the switch?

If it's not being firmly pushed together, it will arc and quickly burn the
contacts away.

Another solution is to use the starter contactor to energize an added
starter solenoid. That gets the load off the switch and keeps the neutral
safety working.

(quoted from post at 18:17:15 02/17/23)
Another solution is to use the starter contactor to energize an added
starter solenoid. That gets the load off the switch and keeps the neutral
safety working.

Yes, that is exactly what I did. See the picture in my opening post.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back