TO-35 Hyd/Trans Oil Change Question

maxwell99

my 1957 TO-35 sits in the barn 98% of the time and almost never gets rained on. The rubber boots over the shift levers are in excellent shape.

I have changed the hyd/trans fluid years ago, but just cannot remember when. it has been over 6-7 years. The tractor is not used that much, but runs and drive great, lift works fine.

I always use GL-1 oil in the hyd/trans sump.

so what say you guys, would you change the hyd/trans oil this spring?

I know the hyd/trans oil should be hot before its drained out and needs about 1 day to fully drain.

Thanks Fred,

Unless it gets water in the oil it should not need changed for at least another 40 years!!
Sam

I am kinda with Sam on this... but I don't go one day over 37 and a half...
My AC's used to get milky... engine and hydro, every flippin morning... by noon... all clear again. All from condensation... Allis's need to live in a dryer climate? I think it is just dew and condensation irritating you... and me... and there must be a way to drain, separate, and pour back in. My father said 'the black gang' on his ship used to drain the oil, barrels of it, and it came out of a contraption ready to pour back in. that was a ship in the early 40's made in 1909, so we aught to be able to do that in the 21st century eh? But when I buy one, I don't trust what the last owner put in there, so it all goes to the guy with a waste oil heater... let him separate it!

maxwell99
I would drain a bit out in a clean container, if it looks good, I agree with the other posters.
BTW, when you changed the oil did you clean the sump?
Brian

no I did not put any type cleaner in the sump when I changed the oil years ago.

I just got the tractor hot plowing, then came right up to the barnyard and opened the sump drain. Hot oil ran out in multi buckets.

left drain open for 1 day until oil stopped running out.

replaced oil with 90 weight GL-1 mineral oil

but as I said, lift works good,

if you hook lift to something the little tractor cannot pick up, it will lift the front of the tractor off the ground. That is about all you can ask of it.

I just wanted to take care of it for years to come.

Question: Is the 90 weight mineral oil GL-1 that we buy today, is it the same oil as it was back in the day, say 1957 or have some of the lube properties been taken out of it.

I used 30 weight Gulf oil in the tractor motor for years, but now I use Shell Rotella 15w40 Diesel oil as it still has zinc, as I was told, old oil used to have zinc to protect the valve stems.
but I may just be old school

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back