TO30 Gears do not move when shifting

AllanK

New User
Hi, I am a new owner of a non operating to30 that I am reviving. The shifter lever was stuck so I was able to free it by moving the middle pin selector with a pry bar. Now the shifter moves freely but the gears do not move forward or back when shifting into different gears. Do the gears only shift when the engine is on? I am able to move the shifter all the way right but can't seem to go into reverse or start, only the first 4 gears on the left and middle side. I can explain more if needed or provide pictures. Let me know. Thanks!

Hi AllanK, welcome to the forum. You should be able to shift in all gears whether the engine is running or not.
Yes, sounds like you need to remove the top cover so you can see what's going under there.

Oh. Do I need to take the cover off to fix it or can I take the pin out of the shifter and lift it?
This is a TO-20 Transmission. Possibly someone can verify if this is the same transmission in the TO-30? Click on pic to enlarge pic.

Attachments

• DSCN0029.JPG
    DSCN0029.JPG
    3.5 MB · Views: 24
Oh. Do I need to take the cover off to fix it or can I take the pin out of the shifter and lift it?
This is a TO-20 Transmission. Possibly, someone can verify if this is the same transmission in the TO-30? Click on pic to enlarge pic.

The shifter was never off the rail. I was looking at a video of a to35 shifting and it shows the gears moving forward and back. It looks like the to30 has these horseshoe like pieces that move forward and back instead, is that correct? Gears do not go forward and back, it looks like.

Here are pictures with the springs out so I can move them freely. The reverse and start rail was seized so a dead blow hammer freed it up.

Attachments

• IMG_1766.jpeg
    IMG_1766.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 17
  • IMG_1765.jpeg
    IMG_1765.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 20
  • IMG_1764.jpeg
    IMG_1764.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 20
  • IMG_1763.jpeg
    IMG_1763.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 17
  • IMG_1762.jpeg
    IMG_1762.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 17
  • IMG_1761.jpeg
    IMG_1761.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 21
The shifter was never off the rail. I was looking at a video of a to35 shifting and it shows the gears moving forward and back. It looks like the to30 has these horseshoe like pieces that move forward and back instead, is that correct? Gears do not go forward and back, it looks like.

Here are pictures with the springs out so I can move them freely. The reverse and start rail was seized so a dead blow hammer freed it up.
Why do several of the GEARS appear NOT to be perpendicular to a shift rail ?
IMG_1762..........jpeg
?

Thanks everyone for all the help. I figured everything out. I lifted the rear tires and the gears rotate fine. For everyone's information, the TO30 has these horseshoe plate of metal under the rail to engage the gears for different speeds. On later models, the gears move themselves eliminating the horseshoe plates. Will be moving onto the starter and it should run!

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back